Mixed content - should I create other channels?

asburyboss

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everybody. I'm new here and I'm just after some advice.
I occasionally write fictional stories in the horror genre and I thought I'd narrate them (sadly I'm no Vincent Price) and I've also done the artwork.
The trouble is they are time consuming and I do struggle to do them with work, homelife and my partner to see to ...
I had it in my head to do one very two weeks but I'm going to aim for one a month for the time being.
Here's the rub for me, I thought if I don't upload more content then any subscribers I get will go out for a sandwich and never come back so I started doing short videos with real life true horror, bizarre stories and I'm learning in the process with sound and editing etc.
My channel is called ' On a dark night' which is what the fictional stories are called but the short true life horror stories are called 'Nightmare truth' they are all on the same channel but I do wonder should I have seperated them and had two channels or would having a horror themed channel containing both work? I'm just wondering if people who only like one or the other may become confused as to the actual content.

When I registered it would not let me post my channel (it said incorrect format but I did type On a dark night and even tried the weblink but it won't allow either)
If you want to check it out you could search for On a dark nigh - monster in my eye's (that's one of the fictional stories)

Cheers for any comments bad or good! I can take it don't worry !

Last edited:

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome to the forum & congrats on 1st post. I know what you mean by time consuming, several videos took me over 5months each to complete(part time of course)
I wouldn't bother splitting, even thought it can make sense to do, but you are a one man team & starting a YouTube channel now is not the same as starting it 10years ago. You can make special thumbnail designs so that viewers can easily identify what topic a video belongs to. For example, my camera gear review videos have PINK colored letters while hike/exproration videos have GREY colored letters

asburyboss

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Cheers MirrorlessNY
I'll take your advice and stick with the one channel for now .
My stories take a while so I'm trying to do a few and then schedule them so I can work on them ahead of time hopefully.
My true life horror stories I would say take around 3-4 hours each even though they're only on around ten mins or less (with the odd exception ) so I can hopefully do at least two a week (lots of late nights researching after work ...I've got more bags under my eyes than a handful of shoppers coming out of a supermarket at the market) .
The thumbnail idea is a good one , I'll take that on board as they are just pics from the vid usually so I'll look at that.
I have put them in separate playlists so hopefully that will help site navigation too .
Cheers for the reply and I hope your channel does well , keep at it .

Graphic Designer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you should split into two channels. I will be doing that to mine shortly. I have a graphic design channel that has videos of me doing graphic design stuff on the computer, but also videos of me doing pencil and computer drawings of cartoons. So I will create a separate channel for the art stuff, because the people who like the art stuff don't care about serious graphic design stuff and vice versa. :)