Make the Black Bars Disappear!

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian, Designer
Do you ever get it when you have tried very hard on a video, it's finally uploaded, and then youtube has trolled you by putting a set of black bars on your video?!

You can actually fix this without having to re-upload the video! All it takes is adding a few tags to youur video, known as formatting tags. Basically when you add one of these tags it will have an effect on your video. Copy and paste the following tag you need to sort your video into the tags, it will fix it for sure! Pillarboxing - yt:stretch=16:9
yt:stretch=4:3 - Stretches to to hd SIZE (does not improve quality)
Windowboxing - yt:crop=16:9
HD - yt:quality=high (defaults video to HD)

Using these tags will result in quality loss but if you have high megapixel video it should be fine
If your still stuck or confused watch this little tutorial I put together for help. I hope I have helped you and made you happy today, thanks for reading :)

NoclipGaming

Reaction score
"yt:stretch=4:3 - Stretches to hd"

NO! JUST NO!

How could a movie "stretch" to high defenition? Sorry but that makes no sense at all.
Stretch something, less quality.

skenkee

Mr. Blue
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I disapprove this message. I would much rather rerender and reupload the video.

PET

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you guys kind of missed the point.
He was refering that the 4:3 video will become 16:9 which is standard for HD, not that the video will magically become HD.

Reactions: dylanmanincfanatic

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
"yt:stretch=4:3 - Stretches to hd"

NO! JUST NO!
How could a movie "stretch" to high defenition? Sorry but that makes no sense at all.
Stretch something, less quality.
the point is that I was meaning a 4:3 video will be stretched to 16:9 it doesn't turn it to HD[DOUBLEPOST=1355438067,1355437912][/DOUBLEPOST]
I disapprove this message. I would much rather rerender and reupload the video.
I guess that would be an option if you had time but if it was a rush to upload or it takes ages to upload this would be a quicker solution

skenkee

Mr. Blue
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Quality above quantity.
A video will be online rest of the year and probably longer. Gamers probably don't mind because they upload daily and they can make video's really easy. But if I would have low quality I would freak out. So I would upload again.

dylanmanincfanatic

If My Thought Dreams Could Be Seen...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
unfortunately currently there is no way to re-size thumbnails but if you become a standard youtube partner by monetizing one video you can get custom thumbails

Brodie, I have custom thumnbnails, but when I upload them I get the same black bars to either side. I know I am doing something wrong. I know the answer's so simple it makes you laugh =P Any advice?

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Reaction score
Channel Type
Brodie, I have custom thumnbnails, but when I upload them I get the same black bars to either side. I know I am doing something wrong. I know the answer's so simple it makes you laugh =P Any advice?
well the size for thumbnails, to get best quality is 1920x1080. If you get bars on your thumbnails you are probably making the dimensions of it too small, make the thumbnail 1920 by 1080 and I garentee it will fit :p