"Location" on Videos?

BillSanDiego

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everybody,

I'm struggling with YouTube's feature "Location" you can set for each of your videos.

2020-11-14_105308-02.png

I'm located in San Diego, California and talking about the awesome life in the U.S. in general. But my target audience is Germany; my videos are in German.

For better visibility and SEO, what location should I select? Germany? Or United States?

Thanks guys!
Bill

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I am kind of in the same situation being in the Philippines. My vids are aimed at expats, from any country. Also I get a lot of views from Filipinos living overseas. I opted to use a few hashtags at the beginning of my description. Instead of the location, it shows my hashtags (seems like it prefers to use one or the other) Here is what I put at the beginning of all my descriptions:

#iloilo #iloilocity #iloiloph ⬇ Click 'Show More' to expand ⬇

Reactions: BillSanDiego

BillSanDiego

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Tito: Thanks. It seems like nobody knows how this works, and YouTube is not making it clear. So, it is a mystery for people like us who live in one country, but create content for another. The word "targeting location" becomes a question mark.

If I set a location, what happens?

1. Is it me as a creator who is signalizing YouTube that my content is in a specific location? What is the benefit of that?
2. Is YouTube displaying my content to people in that location?
3. Is YouTube displaying my content only to people who are searching for that location but are themselves in another location? If that's the case, who searches for location on YouTube search anyways? Nobody does that anyways.

This all makes no sense to me.

Anybody who understands this?