Live Streaming - bugs the hell out of me!

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
A few of my favourite YouTube gurus have started to regularly live stream now, and I can't get past the first minute of their recorded videos.

Does anybody else find it hugely irritating that live streamers do not seem capable of completing a sentence without feeling the need to say "Hi" to somebody that appears in the chat feed? It's like being at dinner with somebody who spends the entire time texting people, or trying to have a conversation with somebody who is constantly distracted by phone calls, people passing by, watching the TV...

Maybe it's an age thing and I'm just too old to "get it". Can anybody explain the point of live streaming to me?

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
The point of livestreaming is to get donations and talk to the fans while playing a game usually.

Wookiees

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends what king of streaming you watch. Some people are streaming to talk with their viewers so it may be anoying for you if you are not a big fan of the streamer.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The only live streamer I watch is "Game Theory." And they always have at least two people in the room. One whose playing the game and the other who is checking the chat. Of course they had a big fan base before starting to stream so it wasn't hard for them to get the numbers and people on their other channel. But to me I think they do a good job. Granted I don't watch a lot of live streamers myself to really compare though.

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think his either talking of derral eves or Tim or the other 3 less known ones " roberto, bryan g jhonson and the other one i forget his name"

They are all YT gurus and they are opting to livestream because revenue is so low right now. I use to get 10$ a month before the boycott " i know right im RICHHH BIATCHHH!!!" but now i get 3$. I can only imagine if they were getting 10k a month, now is down to 2-3k?

A few nights ago i did a super random live stream on my youtube just to show off a game to a friend.The live stream ran for 2 hours or so, the hole time i had 1 viewer who kept trolling me and to top it off the game sound did not come out. So the entire stream is just me talking to a viewer "so is just me talking" and no sound what so ever of the gameplay.

Results: Has actually more views than some of my other videos that i actually put some thought into it.Not only that but people are actually watching the 2 hours...who the hell does that lol.

So yea...it does work.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I think his either talking of derral eves or Tim or the other 3 less known ones " roberto, bryan g jhonson and the other one i forget his name
Yep. Tim Schmoyer and Amy Schmittauer. I really enjoy listening to their videos and have learned a lot from them (and Derral Eves too), but I started listening to their live stream videos and found them to be a complete waste of time. The videos that have been recorded rather than streamed are so much more useful.

I shouldn't really complain, prior to YouTube it would have been almost impossible to get so much free advice delivered in such an engaging manner. I guess that they have a sufficiently faithful following that subscribers get excited at the prospect of engaging with them live.

I didn't know that live stream gaming was "a thing" until I read some of the answers to this post. If you enjoy watching gaming videos it must be like watching a live football match instead of a recorded match. Makes sense I suppose.

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well live streaming and gaming have always held hands.i did forget to mention something... i agree with you, its boring and hard to sit thru unless i am already in the bathroom throne doing ma business :D
I can tell that they are experimenting with it to see how much money they can make so they can probably later on make a video on "how to sustain yourself using live streaming" or something like that AND! because they...everyone on youtube is loosing massive amounts of money until this bs gets fixed. So for now bare with it :D

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It is just the style of that streamer. Engaging with the audience and chat tends to go a long way. There are a lot of habits like that created from Twitch and how the streaming environment is there. Also could be the streams content. Gaming ones typically are a bit more entertaining and the streamer wants to include their audience.