Let's Share Youtube SEO Tips

Dear Gamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello everyone, SEO (Search Engine Optimization is one of the best ways to get views for smaller or larger channels. There billions of people that watch youtube daily so it is our goal it get our videos in front of them. Depending on your subscribers for views is going a good strategy when you're a large channel so it is in our best interest to gain views from browsing viewers.

I want this to be a collection of all kinds of things we can implement on our channels to grow.

My tips:

Titles - Think of Youtube as a big library and say I was looking for a book on western comedies. First I would look in the western section then I would look under the "comedy" sub section to find them. Think of youtube the same way. You have to put the genre and type of video you are producing First in your title because thats how youtube sorts them. I see too many people with tiles like "omg what was that" or " Should we get married" these titles will only work if you have millions of subscribers. So until then focus on creating titles people will search for.

Example if your a gaming channel like myself you want Game title | Type of video | Then catchy phrase. So an example would be Fallout 4 - Ninja Build - Bruce Lee Ain't Got Nothing On Me!

Say you do "Pranks" you could say Scare Prank - My Wife Left Me!

Put your branding at the end! example Scare Prank - My Wife Left Me! | Dear Gamer

Also, remember to put the same wording from you title in your description and tags.

Hope this helps, lets add on to this and see how many unique tips we can come up with.

Alone we are weak but together we are strong.

bazerath

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
im never sure if i do my tags right when i post my video's. because im a gaming channel ill do post my tags like this:

lets play farcry4, lets play, farcry4, far cry, farcry, how to play farcry4, how to play, how to, farcry4 gameplay, gameplay, farcry walkthrough, so on so forth. not sure if its the right way i do much more, generally what kind of game it is what im doing in the game, game title with my name for the episode and if its a part 1 or 2.
hope this advice was useful if its right, if it isnt just let me know how to improve it.

Reactions: Dear Gamer

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
From what I have read, for a title you want to place the catchy phrase first!

Ex: Catchy Title | Game Title | Episode number/whatever

That way, your title seems more unique, and you are still getting the SEO from having the game name in the title.
Also, the thumbnail should tell the person what game it is anyways, so that part isn't as important.

Dear Gamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
From what I have read, for a title you want to place the catchy phrase first!

Ex: Catchy Title | Game Title | Episode number/whatever

That way, your title seems more unique, and you are still getting the SEO from having the game name in the title.
Also, the thumbnail should tell the person what game it is anyways, so that part isn't as important.

This is incorrect if you read the "Google Youtube Playbook" on page 41 in the metadata optimizing section its states "Offer Keywords first, branding at the end" therefore a "catchy tile" Will be considered branding.

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is incorrect if you read the "Google Youtube Playbook" on page 41 in the metadata optimizing section its states "Offer Keywords first, branding at the end" therefore a "catchy tile" Will be considered branding.
Really? That's good to know. If I remember correctly I read that off of a Reddit post from Northernlion or someone big like that. I feel like the information from Youtube itself might be a bit more accurate however :D

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
I think this is good advice, however I keep reading that SEO isn't as important as it used to be. Metadata is helpful so YouTube knows what the video is about initially, but eventually, YouTube trusts "user signals" more than metadata.

Dear Gamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think this is good advice, however I keep reading that SEO isn't as important as it used to be. Metadata is helpful so YouTube knows what the video is about initially, but eventually, YouTube trusts "user signals" more than metadata.
While this is true, user signals are important but before users can leave signals on your video (liking, comment, sharing) they need to be able to find your video first. That's where SEO comes in.

Do a search on YouTube of "how to get rakuyo" or "fallout 4 pickpocket" and you'll find my videos on the first page. Seo is the gateway, that's how videos grow over time.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
user signals are important but before users can leave signals on your video (liking, comment, sharing)
Ah no, I don't mean engagement, that's actually not at all important anymore. :confused: User signals are more like where (on the site and within the session) a user clicks on your video and how long they watch it. Tim Schmoyer (YT consultant) once explained it, that even if your metadata says your cat video is about dogs, but users only click on it while watching cat videos, YT will see that it's actually about cats.

But yes, SEO is important before YT has those signals!

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
All popular tags are already distributed among the big channels by YT algorithm. Of course you still must use them but your best chance to show up at 1st page is if you target some very popular new/tentpole events. For example new song by Miley Cyrus, new performance by Donald Trump etc. Each one of these events creates its own new and very popular niche in which you'll be competing with the big channels more or less as equal (well - more or less).

So Good luck to everybody!