Is this protected under fair use? I think it is!

SYKODRUMMER

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi, my name is SYKODRUMMER and I make drum covers of famous songs.
Before I put my channel back up, this channel was deleted out of anger because of this story:

One day I decided to make a drum cover of adventure of a lifetime by coldplay. A few hours after the video was put up the audio was muted because of the song being played. I then appealed since I thought it was a fairly good cover and the audio was put back until I got a response after 14 days. 14 days later I go on my channel to find the coldplay video not there. I instantly checked my emails but the only emails I had about it were emails from youtube telling me about comments on the video. Confused by this I clicked on a link and it took me straight to the video. I just thought it was a glitch. (I forgot to mention this was the first video that got past 100 views.) Then a few days later I went on to my video manager to find the video had been blocked world-wide. Now, in my appeal I put that it was fair use because I had made a significant change to the original song by improvising and adding drum parts, I also put the exact fair use law. I did not even get an email from the company who own the copyright for the song. Angered I deleted my views over anger and fear of losing my channel over this copyright stuff.

Now I need you smart people to tell me who was in the wrong, me or the copyright company who could not even be bothered to email me about my claim?

This is the fair use law:

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Thank you,

-SYKODRUMMER

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
The copyright laws are written in big companies favor, so song covers even if parts are improvised, as long as they are based on the real ones are not fair use (and fair use is only a thing if it is taken to court, and used a defense there, it doesn't mean anything if you paste it in an email saying its fair use). The only way around this is to get permission from the actual creators, but unless you're the same level of stardom as them it's pretty much impossible.

SYKODRUMMER

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The copyright laws are written in big companies favor, so song covers even if parts are improvised, as long as they are based on the real ones are not fair use (and fair use is only a thing if it is taken to court, and used a defense there, it doesn't mean anything if you paste it in an email saying its fair use). The only way around this is to get permission from the actual creators, but unless you're the same level of stardom as them it's pretty much impossible.
Thats a shame, I suppose it is something I have to deal with. :banghead: Thanks for the reply anyway, I really appreciate it. :)