Is this a good idea to grow my channel and gain new viewers?

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score

This is my latest plan to attract new viewers to my channel. Contests are a time-tested, tried and true method of bringing in new customers to your business by enticing them with prizes and rewards.

Now, on Youtube, this is often seen as having the same disadvantages as paid views or sub4sub. You'll get the views in the short term, but once the prizes have been given out, plenty of people who were only there for the prizes will likewise bail on you.

HOWEVER ...

I believe I have set up my contest in a way that helps to avoid that little problem. Because I am incorporating my contest into my regular, daily content, then that means the contest-only viewers will have to engage in the regular content to participate. They'll have to actually WATCH the videos in order to get the information they need in order to win the prizes. Furthermore, because I plan on offering new prizes every month, potentially keeping this contest going indefinitely, the contest-only viewers will never truly bail on me, because there's always another prize just around the corner.

What do you guys think? Have I actually struck the right balance such that I get the best of both worlds? Will I actually get the short-term boost in views, but without the abandonment that comes with most giveaways?

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nope. Here's what will happen. ONE only-interested-in-prizes viewer will reveal all in a comment and the rest will simply search the comment section for that comment.

And EVERY big YouTuber did such prize give-aways a few years back. All have stopped because it simply doesn't sustain a channel. And I am absolutely positive some big YouTuber tried your idea back than. Everyone was doing it and trying it every which way to TRY to get it to work. It did only in the immediate short run.

And think about it. If the only reason they're there is for the prizes, your content simply sucks. Don't waste your energy trying to TRICK viewers into staying. Use all that mental energy to make better videos and promote them intelligently in the right locations. That and do collaborations with other YouTubers.

Reactions: LandyVlad

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
the rest will simply search the comment section for that comment.
yeah... I saw Veritasium made users submit the "magic" word as Google form instead of a comment. He showed the letters of the word throughout the video. Besides just fast forwarding through the video there was no way to "cheat" the system. I thought about doing the same thing but with comments. Maybe changing comment to wait for approval... but then it sorta kills the comment section. I also, thought about making it sort of sneaky like your comment can't use "the letter A anywhere" or a number , so it's a bit harder for someone just skimming the comment section to find out. though they could just skip to the end of the video.... *sigh*

Personally, I think the "giving out lot of prizes" system sort of works.... I think it's the Mr. Beast and ZHC method. But I wonder if either of them stop giving away stuff... if their audience would vanish? Probably not. They are both personalities now even if I think most people watch them partially to get something out of it and partly to see how what gives away next.

I say, what every you do to get them is what you have to do to keep them. The only way, I personally could justify giving away lot of prizes would be if I was also getting paid a lot from views and merch sales otherwise I would be bankrupt like tomorrow morning.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
ONE only-interested-in-prizes viewer will reveal all in a comment and the rest will simply search the comment section for that comment.
Uuuuuh ... did you even watch the video? I very clearly stated that that wasn't allowed.

Loery Potpie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Animator
I don't think this a good idea. You may gain views, comments, likes and watch time but you're not getting a community out of it, which is what a good youtuber always has and what is always going to help you in the long run.

In short-term it might help you but in the long run not at all. I believe it actually might hurt your channel plus people probably will notice what you are trying to do and you get a bad reputation out of it.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't think this a good idea. You may gain views, comments, likes and watch time but you're not getting a community out of it, which is what a good youtuber always has and what is always going to help you in the long run.

In short-term it might help you but in the long run not at all. I believe it actually might hurt your channel plus people probably will notice what you are trying to do and you get a bad reputation out of it.
But... isn't this the mr beast way?

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
people probably will notice what you are trying to do and you get a bad reputation out of it.
What exactly am I trying to do that's so unethical? Get views? How is wanting to get views such a bad thing?

Jack Decker

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Uuuuuh ... did you even watch the video? I very clearly stated that that wasn't allowed.
ONE, I tried to watch your video but could only stomach it to the 5:28 mark.

TWO, it doesn't matter. Someone will always figure out a way to game the system. Let say you cannot reveal it in the comment section. Fine, there are reddit group just focused on different ways to win prizes online and they'll post it there. No, they will ALWAYS outsmart you. Then again, your prizes are so small that I doubt most would even bother.

THREE, the commentary I did hear from you and your examples of your "brilliant" "funny" remarks were neither. p***s jokes? Seriously? You think that's funny?

FOUR, if you just want to be a prize channel, then just be a prize channel. You want to be a gaming channel, then be a gaming channel. But if you think you'll magically convert prize-seekers into loyal gaming subscribers, you're only kidding yourself.

But... isn't this the mr beast way?
No, it is doing insane stuff that makes him popular. His first viral hit was him counting to 10,000 in one take. Now that he's big, he's using his money to do outrageous things. But this seems like burning the candle at both ends. Fine as long as it seems new but once it starts to appear repetitive, my bet the ride will quickly be over. But maybe by that time he can use his even bigger fame to do things that even money cannot buy. I doubt it but who knows.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think over all prizes shouldn't be really used to grow an audience as people will leave as soon as the prizes dry up and they will only pay attention to the prize task not the actually content you wanted them to stick around for (is that fair to say).
that being said, i have been interested in ways to use prize to build a bond with my audience. I realize this isn't exactly the OP question but hope you don't mind if i run something by you @Jack Decker real quick related to prizes.

1 - I thought about hosting a live stream and ordering a pizza for a random commenter
during the live stream. A Youtuber i used to watch use to do this back in Google+ days and called it the pizza party. granted he had a decently large (though small) audience back then.

2 - Would it be better, if instead of random drawing
giveaways, you made it clear that you were going to pick your favorite comment. That way you can sort of filter people who just showed up today? Like "this giveaway is for people who been subscribed to me for at least 6 month" kind of thing?

Reactions: Jack Decker