Is there a place for quieter, more reserved YT'ers?

Jtpetch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've noticed that the majority of popular YT'ers, especially in the gaming realm, generally seem to be over-energetic and enthusiastic in how they act and talk, and it makes me wonder if that's something that's holding my channel back.

I'm not a super energetic person, and I'm not over-the-top in my videos, but I wouldn't consider how I act and talk in them depressing or boring (but then again, that's me, you may see it that way xD)
Example

It just makes me wonder, though, if there's even a place for more reserved, quieter content creators on YT, or if the only way to succeed is to always be over-the-top and energetic.

Does anyone know if people actually like to watch quieter YT'ers? Or do I just need to start trying to be more energetic in my videos?

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A lot of larger YouTubers are more energetic, you're right, and it does draw in a lot of people. However, if you're physically changing the things about who you are as a person for your videos, you're already behind. You're never going to be happy making YouTube videos if you're faking enthusiasm to get views rather than just being yourself.

I personally don't enjoy watching super energetic gamers, I find myself watching YouTubers like AllShamNoWow and Cryaotic who are funny and amusing but not super obnoxious and out there. They're two of my favorite commentators and I absolutely adore the fact that they're not like your typical YouTube gamer. There's an audience out there for you. You just have to tap into the right people!

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
my own style is more laid back and rambling and people seem to enjoy it. i think there is definitely a place for it. i much prefer it myself. i think very generally its an age thing. of course there are many exceptions to that rule @Madiisuun being one of them

look at my demographics for instance

very different to most gamer channel demographics. much older. and i think a lot of that is down to my style

Reactions: Anxxy

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
A lot of people have told me that I'm a very soothing presence on YouTube (which kind of freaks me out sometimes, because those ASMR channels are creepy to me). Not when I'm doing puppetry, because that's a bit more upbeat and silly, but in my informational videos.

A lot of great folks here are very calm and collected as well. One of them, @Peter_Brown is incredibly successful with his woodworking/creator channel. So it can be done.

Reactions: Peter_Brown

Felix Cave

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Other
I think it's just a different style. For example take pewdiepie. He's incredibly energetic. But on the other hand, vanoss who you remind me of has still done very well. I personally think you will do really well if you continue what your doing, especially at the rate you are uploading :)

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
one thing wanted to mention. your intro at the beginning of the video, more so the music doesn't really fit your style in my opinion. just a small thing

JRTrax

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Sure. I am much more calm than people in my specific genre. I would not say it is a winning formula. It is steady for the most part. I am just coming back from about a 2 month break after dealing with some financial trouble. But I was gaining around 100 subs a month before I had to leave.

Luke (WhatsItLike?)

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You are who you are (FACT) hehe :) dont let it put you off, i guess its a confidence thing, as you grow and gain subs you know that you are engaging with more people and i guess you get more comfortable knowing you have an audience. for example i am new and in fairness im still basically talking to no body, so i am getting used to talking to the camera etc, i hope this all makes sense to you. but back to the main question, there are alot of quiet people out there and most of them will actually enjoy the other quiet people alot more because they can relate. i myself have always been quiet in a way im using youtube to try and gain confidence and to be able to entertain people. hopefully with everything ive said i can help you, myself and everyone else in the same boat :)

Batzii

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some things you can work on are thumbnails, put more time into editing (i.e. custom funny little captions, funny pictures, edits), also as someone said before, make sure your music matches. When your running at someone to chop their head off don't have music that would be more fitting for an introduction, have something like trolley fun music in a compilation of you doing funny stuff and just having fun in general.