Is the rode ntg2 that much better then the rode videomic?

The Unwanted Letter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So i was looking to upgrade my microphone to something that is a lot better then the rode video mic and i was wondering if the rode ntg2 was my answer, is the microphone worth the upgrade from the rode videomic.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've always been a pretty big fan of the Rode Video Microphones. I've filmed a pretty long movie with the Rode Shotgun microphone with little to no problems except for the hinges getting loose. It gave me some pretty good audio. Bought the Boom microphone version of this and still use it to this day.

Now recently I've invested in the same microphone you're looking into. The Rode NTG2 (cause it's a lot cheaper then the newer models and allows the option for XLR audio). For me this microphone giving the option to record with XLR (the cable mainly) is a huge advantage since the 3.5mm stereo jack can pick up a lot of unwanted noise if it's even slightly bumped or moves. Which is kinda nerve racking. Okay...really nerve racking.

I don't have the microphone you're looking into quite yet myself...not for another 5 days at least. But the NTG series does pick up audio better then it's normal (shotgun, boom) series. At least from the research I've done. I'd just compare videos with both microphones on Youtube from good quality videos and people who know what they are talking about and you'll know what I mean. =]

Hope that helps a bit. Have a good day!

JayPlaysOfficial

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well i have recently got the Rode NT-USB mic and its absolutely perfect!! i highly suggest this to ANYONE!! not sure what the mics mentioned above are like, a couple vids on my channel has the new mic input and you can decide but anyways, love it, 100% amazing!