Is sticking to one genre good or bad for channel?

Thunderturd13

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently made my YouTube channel, pretty much aiming for it to be about my craft in barbering ranging from haircut tutorials to product reviews. Should I expand and offer more than just "barber stuff"?

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Good for when your building an audiance and a channel, bad forever.

if you gradually evolve your content to accept more genre's you'll get a lot further than same video over and over, only a handful of channels have managed to keep it up perfectly.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I think it's harder to keep subscribers with totally different subjects.. when I subscribe to a channel about X, I do it because i want to see/learn more about "X" .. If that channel starts making videos about "Y", even though it still may also post the occasional "X" post, i will likely unsubscribe..

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Thunderturd13

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good for when your building an audiance and a channel, bad forever.

if you gradually evolve your content to accept more genre's you'll get a lot further than same video over and over, only a handful of channels have managed to keep it up perfectly.
Completely get what you're saying, I kind of thought about that. Some sort of subtle transition into fresh untapped content

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently made my YouTube channel, pretty much aiming for it to be about my craft in barbering ranging from haircut tutorials to product reviews. Should I expand and offer more than just "barber stuff"?
I think it's a good idea to stick to one genre, you might be able to do another one that's relatively similar but I wouldn't start doing gaming videos or something totally different on the channel. The reason that you don't want to put things that are too different is because you're trying to cater for a particular target audience, if you are doing too many things, no one is going to feel like the channel really fits there taste because they'll also see the other content that they don't care about.

MikeSchimm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
In the beginning, stick to one type on content. But I'd say once you gain a strong enough audience, you could expand. But be careful what it is you "expand" on. For instance, if you did a gaming video that'd be too much of a difference. But if you did a "day in the life" or Q&A it wouldn't be bad at all.

KudoJin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I've heard that, especially early on, it's good to stick to one channel. As you grow and get a larger audience you can expand into other things (many YouTubers have done just that), but when starting out my understanding is you should focus on building up your core audience.

Johnny Nongamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All depends.

When I decided to go on a new road, I figured I needed to start fresh. One channel had all of my old stuff and didn't really line up with what I wanted to do. Another channel is just for me to privately watch my stuff.

Then I decided to take YouTube seriously, so I opened up a third channel in order to make serious content and build up a crowd.

Right now, the focus is on gaming. Long term, I am planning on shifting towards Arduino and soldering projects. The name I choose for the channel was deliberate (Johnny Nongamer) since that can cater to anything. So, I don't need to set up a new channel, I just need to make a new playlist.

And that would be my advice...add new content, but make full use of your playlists.

Show Stephanie

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really depends on how much ur changing and why ur changing the channel. If its because u want to change to something that u feel more people are watching, personally I wouldnt do it just because I prefer the channel be the way that I would like it and for all the ideas to come from myself.