Is my channel safe from the coming COPPA crackdown in January?

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I guess everyone needs to start swearing and talking about adult themes in their videos now, to ensure they aren't kid-friendly.

Gits and Shiggles

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think basically the major problem is that no one knows who's going to be hit and how hard. It'll also be interesting to see if youtube ends up just dying out. If adult content gets demonetized, and stuff that's "family-friendly" gets dinged by COPPA violations does that mean that literally nothing can have ads on it? I have a small channel and just make videos for fun, so I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing, but it's gotta be scary for people whose jobs are YouTube.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have more under 18 viewers than you at 0.1% lol my content is mechanic related fixing stuff working in the shop and restoring a old truck. not at all worried about my content being found to be directed towards children. YouTube would be long dead and gone before they get to the guys like you and i that are not even remotely targeting a young audience. there are 1000's of channels that are targeted towards children that will eat up there resources first.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So are you safe if you mark your channel not for kids and not monetize? My channel has been demonetized since the Logan Paul thing cause I was too small. I don't want my entire Google account shut down nor can I afford these insane fines.

SoSuperLoud

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You only need to turn off personalized ads. Not your whole monetization. Thats is if your content is targeted at kids
Is there an option specifically for this, personalized ads?
I am not seeing it anywhere in the videos monetize area.
I just see Ad Formats for the video.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay, guys, I have been doing tons of research since I posted this. Here is what I can tell you. It is really bad. How bad, will be only understood in time, but I suspect that next year it will be a blood bath. The FTC is coming after Content Creators directly and very few people are safe. YouTube is trying to pass the buck onto us by asking us to tell them if our videos are kid directed or not, but it is essentially the same thing as having two guns pointing at your head. Choose one and you lose all your earnings. Choose the other and you open yourself up to life-destroying fines.

Here is what I know for certain. This is EVIL. I say this because what is going on is the intentional punishing of Innocent people for the crimes of others. The COPPA law is to "PREVENT" companies from gathering data on children. No creator is doing that. Google is the one doing that. But the creators are the ones that are being punished for Google's failure to comply with COPPA. And by offering the choice to us, YouTube ss saying that they do not intend to stop gathering and using children's data, they are just making us responsible for how they are using it. So what the FTC is planning to do to creators is NOT preventing Google from gathering the data, which is what the COPPA law is supposed to do.

Listen. Walt Disney TARGETS children!!!! Walt Disney World is nothing but a huge targeting of children. Every toy company in the world Targets Children! IT IS NOT ILEGAL TO MAKE CHILDRENS DIRECTED CONTENT OR TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT! So not only is what the FTC is doing to online content creators evil because it punishing creators for crimes that others are committing, it is also unfair, because in order to be fair, the FTC would have to shut down Walt Disney and every toy company in America, because they ALL target children in their advertising.

Guys, this is an absolute violation of our Constitutional right of Freedom of Speech and freedom of expression. It violates the very core foundation of our nation which guarantees the right of the pursuit of happiness. Get on the phone to every political representative you have and tell them that 2020 will not be a good election year for them if they do not put this out of control tyrant of an FTC director back in his box.

Reactions: fixedsnuffle

kalamingo

Reaction score
But the creators are the ones that are being punished for Google's failure to comply with COPPA. And by offering the choice to us, YouTube is saying that they do not intend to stop gathering and using children's data, they are just making us responsible for how they are using it.
I'm new to the forums and you're lucky post #1 that pushed me to making my account. Sounds like your over reacting a little. YouTube is s**t at a lot of things but this is just spewing rubbish. All their doing is enabling a new flag to say if a video is for kids, or not for kids, and no longer selling ad spots to advertisers that used to be able to target this demographics. Google's losing money, and so are kids content creators. Party's over for a lot of people, it's the right thing to do and should have been so from the very start. Be glad you did earn some money while it lasted.

Listen. Walt Disney TARGETS children!!!! Walt Disney World is nothing but a huge targeting of children. Every toy company in the world Targets Children! IT IS NOT ILEGAL TO MAKE CHILDRENS DIRECTED CONTENT OR TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT! So not only is what the FTC is doing to online content creators evil because it punishing creators for crimes that others are committing, it is also unfair, because in order to be fair, the FTC would have to shut down Walt Disney and every toy company in America, because they ALL target children in their advertising.
A lot of entitlement with this one here. As a creator, YouTube owes us nothing. We live in a world where we can film content, edit and upload, and potentially reach millions all within 24 hours, and earn money off it, compared to how traditional TV works. You can still make non kid content and make money there. But if you want to make kid content, the platform that previously was selling ad spots is no longer doing that, so you've lost your one and only sales person and again they don't owe you anything.

What the FTC is doing is stopping Walt Disney from having their ads show up on YouTube channel that kids watch. No one said anything about it being illegal to make children directed content. All toy companies make advertising that targets children, but the other mediums they put it on like TV, papers etc are more controlled and are not where children's eyes are glued to for hours in a day.

Guys, this is an absolute violation of our Constitutional right of Freedom of Speech and freedom of expression. It violates the very core foundation of our nation which guarantees the right of the pursuit of happiness. Get on the phone to every political representative you have and tell them that 2020 will not be a good election year for them if they do not put this out of control tyrant of an FTC director back in his box.
FTC did the right thing for children here, YouTube is simply complying and letting creators take onus of what they create, and some kid content creators just need to let go and move on.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
FTC did the right thing for children here, YouTube is simply complying and letting creators take onus of what they create, and some kid content creators just need to let go and move on.
What about the fact that you can make your channel as not for kids, but come the next Marvel movie and you talk about it, Youtube's bots decides that means your channel is for kids and switches it back for you. There goes your comments and other features. Not to mention a potential fine if Youtube thinks you were lying about your channel.

Like what am I supposed to do here? Swear like a sailor to make things non-kid friendly on purpose? Censor myself to make things kid friendly? Why did they not give us more of a middle ground? Youtube should flat out age restrict itself and if kids are still watching videos that are not on Youtube Kids then make them and their parents liable. I mean, this is like punishing a late night talk show host over making a dirty joke on TV cause a kid happened to see it, even though the show is on way past their bedtime. We have 0 control over who does and doesn't watch our content.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I wonder if putting a disclaimer screen in the beginning of your videos stating that your video is not intend for children would hold any weight. I would think so

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I wonder if putting a disclaimer screen in the beginning of your videos stating that your video is not intend for children would hold any weight. I would think so
How can it hold any weight if the Youtube bot can't actually read it? That probably won't help, unless maybe you read it allowed and stress the word 'adult' so that hopefully the bot can pick it up and determine it's an adult channel.