Is It Too Late To Start On YouTube?

LaurenLSexton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately and now I've found this forum, I'd like to get your guys' opinion on it.

Having only started uploading videos a few months ago it can be easy to feel that the market is already saturated and there are too many YouTubers already out there doing what you're doing. Is there ever a time that is too late to start on YouTube? Have we missed the boat?

What got me thinking is that recently I've noticed a few of the bigger YouTubers saying things like "when I got started YouTube wasn't big so I've grown with it" and "when I began there was much less out there and fewer people to compete with" - which I understand, and in some respects I agree. When the original 'famous' YouTubers first signed up and started making videos there were a lot less channels, meaning they were easier to find, and now there are more users than ever they have been able to continue to grow in accordance with that.

But on the other hand this is the biggest YouTube has ever been and it is quickly becoming one of the biggest social media platforms/online communities in the world, so is it just as good to start now whilst YouTube is at it's peak?

I find myself always torn between "I've started YouTube too late" and "YouTube is just going to get bigger and bigger so now is as good a time as any".

What're you views on this?

Reactions: Naybor

DougieBoy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Is it too late to start your own business in this world? Some people would say yes, other's would say no. Think of a YouTube channel as your own business. There are a lot of youtubers, but you have your own way to fit in and get noticed. I've seen some things on YouTube which I never thought would be a good channel, but they are getting the views. :) Considering the most internet traffic is YouTube, I would say there's still hope.

Reactions: AdmUp

Bridder

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
This is probably the most asked question, like ever. In short - no. But don't get me wrong, YT does have a life span, just like MySpace. But since it is owned by Google, I can't see it start to saturate any time soon. If you are creative, have a personality that people like (because there's no one else out there that is like you), then it can work. It's hard to not copy because everything has been done already.

I think there are some niches that on YT might be a bit saturated compare to others, so it does also depend on that.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I found this forum less than a year ago with just 200 subs, mostly from friends that I persuaded or even forced to subscribe to me. I could tell you that I thought at that point Youtube was saturated and made videos only for fun with low expectations. But here I am now growing faster than I could have imagined several months ago. If you're willing to work hard and smart, learn from bigger channels who have recently just exploded within the past few months or year, then you'll be way ahead of the curve. Most Youtubers even many with over 100k subscribers don't take the time to really understand how Youtube works, and what it really takes for Youtube to be happy so they'll promote you non stop. Some big Youtubers got big out of luck, some through 7 years of slowly grinding or through outdated methods that no longer work or is no longer efficient. So when you understand that Youtube is a business and understand exactly how they earn money, then you'll be able to better setup your channel so you can grow and if you wish earn from the platform

Last edited:

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think the answer is no, maybe youtube has at least another 3-7 years, and probably once it starts dying big youtubers will make a new website!

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It's never too late. As long as you have something interesting to say and an interesting way to say it, you will find your niche on YouTube. That's why channels rise and fall depending on the trends.

Reactions: HalieCakes

sheabutta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd say no. They say the same thing with professional careers like doctors, lawyers, etc. If you want to do YouTube, do it! If people want to watch it they will.

Reactions: SimpleAnnalisa

HalieCakes

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say no...I also don't see Youtube dying anytime soon..so I really don't think that's a problem lol

Reactions: AdmUp

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I'd say yes. A guy with a channel that has 87 subs told me that if you didn't start in 2006 or get a shout out from all major channels, you'll never make it, so obviously he's right.

of course not! The door will be open forever

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would say it is still possible to make it big on YouTube or for your channel to be successful. The only way to find out is to try.

If you an entrepreneur and you take YouTube as a business .... as the adage "Nothing ventured, nothing gained!"