Is it bad to tell someone to like and subscribe at the start of your video?

Jack Swish

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see lots of people do this and wonder if that is actually off putting for someone, as they haven't watched much of the video and now are being told to like and sub.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
I hate it, personally. If a video starts with someone telling me to like and subscribe, I'm likely going to stop watching.

UltimateKirbyBoi

Certified Sorta Cool Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
yeah don't tell me what to do man, I don't even know if your video's good yet.

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Really it depends on the viewer type. Some viewers rarely care to click on those buttons even if they love the video. Those viewers usually does not have time to waste. So i feel, it can be considered just as a reminder to give a videos evaluation after watching and before quick leaving.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^^

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Statistically from what I hear, it actually works as annoying as it may be -- even YouTube recommends it because the numbers are better that way, but numbers are just numbers - it'll change what kind of followers you have as well --

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do it at the end but not many people reach the end so perhaps should have it at the fron also!

JamieKarakizi

Subscribe to me? haha
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I see lots of people do this and wonder if that is actually off putting for someone, as they haven't watched much of the video and now are being told to like and sub.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Never do this at the start of the video because most people will find it off putting. Cencentrate on good quality and content then at the end mention it briefly before you sign off. If people have liked your content enough to stick around to the end then you warrant yourself to ask people.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I usually say it like "if you like my content don't forget to smash that like button and subscribe". They're different ways you can approach saying it. If you're demanding it may sound annoying to some people.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
At the beginning I find myself skipping over it cause I find it annoying, but sometimes I have seen people do it in like the middle of the video like a transition which is more comfortable in my opinion