Is it a good idea to send new subscribers a welcome/thanks message?

Peaceful Scenes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Sorry if this was already covered in another thread... I'm a bit concerned about this as I've been doing it for a week or so and wondered if this could lead to getting flagged as a spammer by YT or by the very people I'm welcoming.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on this... hopefully there are others who have experience doing this long term and they can share whether there were any negative repercussions in doing so.
The reason I started doing this was it seemed a natural and polite thing to do... someone takes the trouble to subscribe so obviously likes my channel. It's my instinct to want to say "thanks and hope you enjoy exploring my channel further."... or similar Is this acceptable... I've been placing my message on their channel/profile discussion page.

Main problem I see is that YT might see a similar message placed eventually on hundreds or thousands of discussion pages making me look like a spammer... Anyone out there with long term experience of this?

It always looks bad when a channel sends a message that YT labes as "possibly spam". Makes me immediately suspicious. Don't want to end up with that label... not even sure if this eventually goes away or not so really don't want this to happen.

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you're still a small channel there's no harm in welcoming the first 100 or so subscribers. Will also make them feel special to be some of the first to follow you. But after 100 subs I'd stop doing it. Not only because it gets old and loses it value over time, but also because you'll start to lose track of it anyway and it will become way too much work.

Peaceful Scenes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If you're still a small channel there's no harm in welcoming the first 100 or so subscribers. Will also make them feel special to be some of the first to follow you. But after 100 subs I'd stop doing it. Not only because it gets old and loses it value over time, but also because you'll start to lose track of it anyway and it will become way too much work.
Thanks for the reply. I'm at just over 1100 subscribers... currently averaging an extra 5 a day so not difficult to keep doing at this stage... mainly worried about whether YT might pick up that the same or very similar message is appearing on discussion pages (only new subscribers though) so could look like spam to YT. I have experienced a slight increase in views, shares etc. since I started doing this so not sure if the welcome message has anything to do with it. My theory is that the message on their discussion page shows that I noticed their sub and appreciate it. It also reminds them of my channel and later they or other people who happen to see their discussion page will also see my message and might be curious.

Only snag is, as you say with more subs per day later it could become more time consuming... that's actually why I was worried YT would see a copy and paste type generic message as spam if it appeared across hundreds or thousands of channel/user pages over time.

I see others also posting thanks for subscribing messages, so might be working for them... its just the spam flag risk I'm worried about.

V3XL0R

Personifying Music Since 1994
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Animator
Some people have sent me messages thanking me before for subscribing. There's nothing wrong with that. I sometimes send out messages like that who I've seem to have connected with upfront.