Is Final cut pro hard to learn how to use ?

JustCallMeCass

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I currently use I movie ! Should I upgrade to final cut ? Is it worth the price tag ?

Thanks in advance

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
I recommend Adobe Premiere Pro. For many reasons. :) It's really all preference, but it's a program I've used for about 7 years now (even with trying out other editing programs) and it still dominates that area for me.

1) SUPER user friendly. Everything is laid out and labeled pretty clear -- effects tab, project bin, timeline, etc.
2) There is so much you can do effect-wise and as long as you know the basics of the program, you can really start manipulating certain effects to create different things.
3) It's expensive, but what's great is Adobe offers some options that you can do: pay in full, pay off over time, and if you're a student, you get a relatively hefty discount.
4) In the professional world, Premiere and Avid are the top picked programs. It wouldn't hurt to invest your time into them. :)

I hope this helped! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

JustCallMeCass

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I recommend Adobe Premiere Pro. For many reasons. :) It's really all preference, but it's a program I've used for about 7 years now (even with trying out other editing programs) and it still dominates that area for me.

1) SUPER user friendly. Everything is laid out and labeled pretty clear -- effects tab, project bin, timeline, etc.
2) There is so much you can do effect-wise and as long as you know the basics of the program, you can really start manipulating certain effects to create different things.
3) It's expensive, but what's great is Adobe offers some options that you can do: pay in full, pay off over time, and if you're a student, you get a relatively hefty discount.
4) In the professional world, Premiere and Avid are the top picked programs. It wouldn't hurt to invest your time into them. :)

I hope this helped! If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks so much for this ! So you cant buy it on a one off payment it seems to be a monthly payment ? I will have a look into it seems like a great idea xx

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you have been using imovie Final Cut will be easy to learn. Lots of tutorials on YouTube to learn anything you want to do. They do have a free trial so you can give it a try.

You can also find lots of plugins to do cool things. Some free and some expensive lots in between.

Final Cut is not cheap but no ongoing monthly payments.

Reactions: JustCallMeCass

JustCallMeCass

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If you have been using imovie Final Cut will be easy to learn. Lots of tutorials on YouTube to learn anything you want to do. They do have a free trial so you can give it a try.

You can also find lots of plugins to do cool things. Some free and some expensive lots in between.

Final Cut is not cheap but no ongoing monthly payments.
Yeah I must say I do like that it is not ongoing payments

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Cass,
You ask if FCP is easy to learn as you are thinking of upgrading from imovie. You have had some good answers but I thought I would add a few words.

You ask if FCP is easy to learn? Well I suppose you could ask yourself ‘Am I good at learning something new and a lot more complex?’. If you honestly feel you need the very advanced facilities of FCP then, as you are experienced with imovie, then you are off to a good start. Have you really conquered all that imovie can do? These other very advanced and costly programmes will have facilities that you probably wont ever get around to learning and using.

Ciarra plugs Premiere very highly. (So do I) I have been using Premiere for around 15 years through all the versions and I am still using Version CS6. I wont update to the latest as you cannot buy it outright now only by a monthly subscription. I think that rules out the majority of amateur and semi pros. Even, I suspect, many pros will have to think twice about such an investment.

Having used all the previous versions I found it relatively easy the get to grips with each new version but will say there are so many advanced facilities that I know I will never get around to even understanding or using. So I think overall you should stick to FCP that ,to be honest, I have never used. but it’s certainly highly regarded.

There are certainly many other paid for programmes that offer very good facilities and most of the advertising blurb plugs how user friendly and easy to learn they are. (Ummmmm!!!) They vary in price but nothing like to top end programmes. I have a friend who believes all this sales patter and has several editing programmes on his machine. For instance. POWER DIRECTOR, STUDIO 15 and 17, MAGIX and others. Sadly each is another steep learning curve and, to be honest, he is not getting to grips with any of them.

You want to make interesting and competent videos – of course you do. I would suggest that you thoroughly learn all the facilities that are available in imovie then, if you are absolutely sure you need to spend money, go to FCP. Is it easy to learn? That question again. The basics will be, but getting into the very advanced features might well be a long and a little frustrating curve.

Hope this helps.

Magic Pete.

JustCallMeCass

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hi Cass,
You ask if FCP is easy to learn as you are thinking of upgrading from imovie. You have had some good answers but I thought I would add a few words.

You ask if FCP is easy to learn? Well I suppose you could ask yourself ‘Am I good at learning something new and a lot more complex?’. If you honestly feel you need the very advanced facilities of FCP then, as you are experienced with imovie, then you are off to a good start. Have you really conquered all that imovie can do? These other very advanced and costly programmes will have facilities that you probably wont ever get around to learning and using.

Ciarra plugs Premiere very highly. (So do I) I have been using Premiere for around 15 years through all the versions and I am still using Version CS6. I wont update to the latest as you cannot buy it outright now only by a monthly subscription. I think that rules out the majority of amateur and semi pros. Even, I suspect, many pros will have to think twice about such an investment.

Having used all the previous versions I found it relatively easy the get to grips with each new version but will say there are so many advanced facilities that I know I will never get around to even understanding or using. So I think overall you should stick to FCP that ,to be honest, I have never used. but it’s certainly highly regarded.

There are certainly many other paid for programmes that offer very good facilities and most of the advertising blurb plugs how user friendly and easy to learn they are. (Ummmmm!!!) They vary in price but nothing like to top end programmes. I have a friend who believes all this sales patter and has several editing programmes on his machine. For instance. POWER DIRECTOR, STUDIO 15 and 17, MAGIX and others. Sadly each is another steep learning curve and, to be honest, he is not getting to grips with any of them.

You want to make interesting and competent videos – of course you do. I would suggest that you thoroughly learn all the facilities that are available in imovie then, if you are absolutely sure you need to spend money, go to FCP. Is it easy to learn? That question again. The basics will be, but getting into the very advanced features might well be a long and a little frustrating curve.

Hope this helps.

Magic Pete.

Wow Wow Wow thank you so much ! this was so helpful ! I am going to look into the more advance things that I movie can do maybe i dont know it all haha and then I will consider my options but hoestly thanks for your time

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
My pleasure Cass. Please let us know how you progress. Magic Pete.