iPad Pro 2020 or Surface Pro 4? Which is better for video editing??

BFTech

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am going to start a Tech YouTube channel in the near future and having purchased the new 11 inch iPad Pro 2020 512GB model very recently to replace my nearly 5 year old iPad Air 2 which it is definitely a massive upgrade in every single way, the iPad Pro is really a beast of a tablet and computer.

Anyway, I would like to use my new iPad Pro as my video creation device but in terms of great video editing apps, there is this app called LumaFusion that seems that is most professional and feature rich iPad video editing app out there at the moment and have seen a lot of people who use and recommend this app but I am not really convinced by LumaFusion unfortunately because it seems that it does not have the features that I need for making videos and such.

The problem is that, I have a 3 year old £1000+ Surface Pro 4(i5/8GB of RAM/256GB) laying around collecting dust at the moment and I originally bought it for video editing(when I eventually start making videos again) but that has never happened until now and in the first year, I did use my Pro 4 for casual tasks like browsing the web, watching videos and gaming occasionally but after that in the the last 2 years, I have really not used my Surface Pro much at tall because i really do prefer and enjoy using my iPad a lot then my Surface Pro 4 as a tablet and especially for casual tasks that I just mentioned and definitely have not got my money worth out of it unfortunately but since I have got a 2020 iPod Pro now which it is so much more powerful in both of the CPU and GPU side comparison to most laptops then my Surface Pro 4, so on paper, it definitely would make more sense for me to use my iPad Pro instead of the Surface Pro 4 for video editing.

For the video editing software, due to my previous experience making YouTube videos on my old YT vlog channel from 4 to 5 years ago on my old 11.6 inch Acer Windows 8 tablet(i5 core), I have used Filmora which it is a really featured rich and professional video editing software, so if I do decide to use my Surface Pro 4 to make YouTube videos then it definitely would be Filmora 9 that I would use to edit and make my all my Tech videos.

Despite how powerful the new 2020 iPad Pro is especially in the GPU(graphics), I have still got a feeling that my Surface Pro 4(i5/8GB of RAM/256GB) is still more suited for intensive tasks like video editing then the iPad Pro 2020 for the variety of reasons like having proper high end powerful laptop specs and has much more advanced feature rich video editing software since the Pro 4 has a desktop OS called Windows 10 and despite being a bit outdated and it will be 5 years old this October when it was announced, even by today’s standards, the Surface Pro 4 especially the i5 and i7 models are still pretty powerful compared to much newer Windows 10 hybrids/2in1s and with model that I have got has only 256gb of storage, luckily the Surface Pro 4 has a microSD slot, I can add my SanDisk 256GB card to have a lot more storage for my tech videos but ultimately I would finally get my money worth out of my Surface Pro 4.

But on the other hand, I have got a feeling that I might be going backwards and shooting myself in the foot if I do start using my 3 year old Surface Pro 4 instead of my brand new 2020 iPad Pro for video editing for obvious reasons since the 2020 iPad Pro will definitely be so much more powerful and faster while editing videos especially rendering the videos things like that compared to my Surface Pro 4 and will most probably have more professional and feature rich apps like Final Cut Pro(a desktop MacOS video editing program) coming to the iPad in the future alongside with the iPadOS getting more advanced and desktop like features in next few years and the iPad Pro 2020 is definitely a lot more future proof then the Surface Pro 4 and lastly to be honest, I definitely prefer my iPad then my Surface Pro 4 for a variety of reasons.

Also, my tech videos, I am looking to make them similar to the big Tech Youtubers like MKBHD, Jon Rettinger and Mrwhosetheboss, etc but have my own unique style to it.

Anyway, as you can tell I am in a big dilemma weather to use my new 11 inch iPad Pro 2020 inch(512GB) or my 3 year old Surface Pro 4(i5/8GB of RAM/256GB) as my video creating device for my Youtube tech channel.

So, can anyone tell me which device is better for video editing and which device should I use? iPad Pro 2020 or Surface Pro 4? And lastly, what would you use if you was in my shoes for video editing.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi, if you are planning on having an active channel, you should not be using any ipads or cellphones for editing, unless you are totally cool with what you will achieve with those devices, they are extremely capable, however, in my opinion it will be stressful. = need a BIG screen, I have 2 monitors next to each other 35" ultrawide & 29" ultrawide in vertical position, & still thinking of upgrading to a bigger 4k monitor in future,,,, also have custom powerful desktop with 10core cpu & 64gb RAM & it still gets sluggish if editing 4k footage

Reactions: fixedsnuffle

ThriftyAV

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
A desktop build will give you more processor for your money than either of these tablets, and that's important for 4K render speed. Get a CPU with as many cores/threads as you can afford, as all modern video editing titles take advantage of multi-core processors. Also, especially with the AMD Ryzen CPU line and X570 chipset, there are clear upgrade paths so you can improve your editing machine down the road. Unless you plan to do your editing on-the-go, I would stay away from any tablets. The premium cost of these devices is for the convenience, not raw processing power.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The premium cost of these devices is for the convenience, not raw processing power
Yea true, they are still very powerful thought. Making a desktop build is very difficult, not to mention maintaining it in good order, my motherboard broke recently so video editing was on hold for a month :confused: I think for most laptops/ipads are the perfect solution, the rest should order a custom build desktops with warranty, preferably from a nearby physical location so that in case of it breaking can bring it for fixing under warranty,,,,,,,,,there is only a small # of enthusiasts who should indulge in building a desktop themselves