If your channel was invited to become monetized, does that mean you are a partner?

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I got an e-mail on Friday morning saying that I can now monetize my videos and all that jazz. I actually got really exited because it started off saying "One last step to become a partner" and it said "To become a partner you need to monetize at least one of your videos". I am monetizing all of my videos and have applied for adsense which is being reviewed.

I am confused though, am I a partner now? I have also researched and found that the monetization e-mails are all automated? If I am not a partner, how much longer will it take to become a partner? Or how will I know if I am a partner?

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
no your not a partner you have to apply for that seperately.

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
no your not a partner you have to apply for that seperately.
But then when I go onto the partner site http://www.youtube.com/Partners and click get started, it takes me to my video manager and says something like "You need to monetize one more video" which I believe refers to the e-mail saying that I need to have at least one video monetized to become a partner. I have them all monetized, maybe they all just need to be fully reviewed before I become a partner?

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
yes you have been given the ability to monitize you are not a partner yet there is a difference :)

you then have to hit the partner button and they may or may not approve you hehe. It depends on your channel and who is at the other end that day hehe. If you have just been given the ability to monitize no you are not a partner. the new rules are monitize a video and then apply and then they will decide if you can be one. From what I am seeing its not that hard but it depends on your channel. If you have nothing from any third party and i mean nothing lol no background music or whatever you will get the partner but you have not actually gotten to the step to even ask them yet. :)

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
yes you have been given the ability to monitize you are not a partner yet there is a difference :)

you then have to hit the partner button and they may or may not approve you hehe. It depends on your channel and who is at the other end that day hehe. If you have just been given the ability to monitize no you are not a partner. the new rules are monitize a video and then apply and then they will decide if you can be one. From what I am seeing its not that hard but it depends on your channel. If you have nothing from any third party and i mean nothing lol no background music or whatever you will get the partner but you have not actually gotten to the step to even ask them yet. :)
Ahh I see... So all I can do is wait until they give me the opportunity to apply again for partnership? Because so far I cannot find anyway to apply for partnership, as it just takes me to my monetization settings/video manager.

Atleast monetization is cool :p... Thanks for your answers, helped out a lot :D.

And no, I have no third party stuff on any of my videos. I have 2 pictures of news which I read up and it seems fine, I also acknowledged the news site. I have 2 effects I used from another channel which said "you may use this if you acknowledge" which I did and one background music from a site with free license. So I am guessing that it is all alright? I have not used any copyrighted stuff.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
yes your allowed to monitize you are not even partner eligeable as they require you to have monitized videos to apply lol . acknowledging is not good enough and it seems fine because your not making money from it. So its non profit at this point the rules are different. The minute you slap ads on your videos you become a commercial enterprise then youtube has to worry about being sued. If the image was from a new company it most certainly is copyrighted hehe unless you obtained it from the public domain repository. In either case you need to prove it to youtube. I have found that even if you can prove it they are gun shy of being sued so they are pretty much errring on the side of caution and saying no . They might loosen their grip eventually but they have had a lot of trouble in the past and the result is seen on youtube channels eg: i over the last several months have moved most of the content I care about except some tutorials etc off of youtube and onto another service. The only thing I put on youtube at the moment although I do try from time to time to put something um better on lol is public domain footage I dont care about or items which may contain music clips or CC items which I am giving away full rights to anyhow lol..

In any event yours is all video live recordings and people talking so your safe. The new images are not safe if they are from newspapers they are heavily copyrighted usualy its owned by gettys images. If they are from public domain your going to have to prove it to youtube. You can leave it up and take a chance or replace it with something you made with your own two hands and hope they believe you lol

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
yes your allowed to monitize you are not even partner eligeable as they require you to have monitized videos to apply lol . acknowledging is not good enough and it seems fine because your not making money from it. So its non profit at this point the rules are different. The minute you slap ads on your videos you become a commercial enterprise then youtube has to worry about being sued. If the image was from a new company it most certainly is copyrighted hehe unless you obtained it from the public domain repository. In either case you need to prove it to youtube. I have found that even if you can prove it they are gun shy of being sued so they are pretty much errring on the side of caution and saying no . They might loosen their grip eventually but they have had a lot of trouble in the past and the result is seen on youtube channels eg: i over the last several months have moved most of the content I care about except some tutorials etc off of youtube and onto another service. The only thing I put on youtube at the moment although I do try from time to time to put something um better on lol is public domain footage I dont care about or items which may contain music clips or CC items which I am giving away full rights to anyhow lol..

In any event yours is all video live recordings and people talking so your safe. The new images are not safe if they are from newspapers they are heavily copyrighted usualy its owned by gettys images. If they are from public domain your going to have to prove it to youtube. You can leave it up and take a chance or replace it with something you made with your own two hands and hope they believe you lol
Well I have proved it at the bottom of each video in the description... but maybe I just wont monetize the ones with the pictures on and stuff? Or if they do review them and see specific videos with copy righted stuff wont they just not allow THAT video to be monetized?

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
do you have their consent? did you contact them an ask or just give them credit or was it released with reuse option under public domain or creative commons? just saying "this picture is from" is not enough :)

If you have any items on your channel that are public and with views that are containing images you took without asking or that were not released with a creative commons license or public domain specifying it can be used commercially your gonna have trouble. If there are images on your channel relased without commercial use they will partner you but you can't monatize those. However I think i remember that video and it was from a large news network and I am pretty sure you didnt contact them and get written consent (although I could be wrong) that is a copyright issue hehe. Its not going to give you problems now because your not monatizing (yet) if you choose to monatize they will not bother you if you dont monatize that particular video . Its up to the news people to issue a dmca takedown notice which if they do will give you a strike against your account..

when you start monatizing you can do that but when you ask to partner they will look at all your videos and if you have one video up with something like that and can't prove you have been given permission they are going to say no :)

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
do you have their consent? did you contact them an ask or just give them credit or was it released with reuse option under public domain or creative commons? just saying "this picture is from" is not enough :)
With the effects one I did get permission :) but maybe I should do it properly and stuff lols. But I should be fine if I do not monetize the videos with content. Only 2 out of 7 have other content.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
yes I dont know your personal business lol but when someone says "I gave credit to so and so that should be enough" it usually means to me that they didnt ask lol. You are free to monatize the monatizable ones no problem. However if you want to partner your going to have to remove the videos containing content you have not got documentation to prove that you have permission to use it. Or a link to the site with the terms of use. Even then if its third party stuff they sometimes give you a hard time lol.