I'd really love some feedback on my latest video? Trying to improve! :)

Miss Medi

Retro Games and Things!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello and thanks very much for clicking on this post!

I would love your feedback on my latest gaming video, I have never asked for a review before so a bit nervous - but I really do want to improve and grow my channel. This is my latest episode of my Rayman 2 Let's Play which is part of my 'Throwback Thursday' series, up so late it's technically a Friday... :p

Aspects of this video I would love your thoughts on are:
  • Audio/Video quality and any areas for improvement there
  • Commentary style, listenability and whether you find it entertaining. This is an area I would particularly like some tips on - I don't script my videos and I play and talk at the same time, wondering if I should consider these.
  • Intro, is it necessary? Is it any good? should I cut it? I know it's a bit low-tech (I made in on Premiere Pro which is damn hard to fiddle around with when you don't have after effects lol)
  • Tips on how to keep my audience bith throughout the video itself and also for the rest of the series

Any advice you can give would be amazing and I will take it all on board. I have been doing Youtube for about 3/4 months now and although I have improved a lot from the beginning I still know there's a way to go!

Thank you :)

Miss Medi

Retro Games and Things!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yea it looked good and congrats on 100 subs dude I have been trying to get up there keep up the good work
Thank you for the lovely feedback matt, I really appreciate you taking a look! You can get there only 29 more to go lol! Just keep putting out videos, I liked your prop hunts!

matt franz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you for the lovely feedback matt, I really appreciate you taking a look! You can get there only 29 more to go lol! Just keep putting out videos, I liked your prop hunts!
Thanks so much and good luck

Reactions: Miss Medi

javacentral

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your puns, especially the chair joke, are right up my alley. Super cheesey and goofy. I do like how you have a bunch of fun and energy in your video.

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I think the commentary is absolutely top-notch: you have character; a likable personality; sound natural; produce a continues stream of interesting audio. Though personally I think your talent is a bit wasted on this style of content. Because your source material is basically unedited retro gaming footage. Yes the quality of your commentary makes it watchable but in my opinion your videos could improve a lot if you picked more interesting source footage. If you think about it for a moment there is just so much you could do to make your source footage more interesting and give it broader appeal. Of course this is just my personal opinion and if you just love narrating unedited retro gaming footage then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Tbh it also has to do with my preference and just not being a big fan of Rayman.

My personal thoughts on an intro. Absolutely not necessary. And I would recommend not having one until you make a perfect one. Otherwise you will always be wondering if people stopped watching right away because of your shabby intro. Much better to just get into the action and start charming people with your commentary.

My tip on keeping the audience engaged throughout the video is to start off with interesting edited source material. Source material can be interesting because it is relevant/actual; because it shows something new unusual; because it tells a story; etc. Second tip is a bit cliché but a facecam really helps with getting a stronger bond with your audience.

Miss Medi

Retro Games and Things!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Your puns, especially the chair joke, are right up my alley. Super cheesey and goofy. I do like how you have a bunch of fun and energy in your video.
Thank you! :) really appreciate it![DOUBLEPOST=1480639933,1480639561][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think the commentary is absolutely top-notch: you have character; a likable personality; sound natural; produce a continues stream of interesting audio. Though personally I think your talent is a bit wasted on this style of content. Because your source material is basically unedited retro gaming footage. Yes the quality of your commentary makes it watchable but in my opinion your videos could improve a lot if you picked more interesting source footage. If you think about it for a moment there is just so much you could do to make your source footage more interesting and give it broader appeal. Of course this is just my personal opinion and if you just love narrating unedited retro gaming footage then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Tbh it also has to do with my preference and just not being a big fan of Rayman.

My personal thoughts on an intro. Absolutely not necessary. And I would recommend not having one until you make a perfect one. Otherwise you will always be wondering if people stopped watching right away because of your shabby intro. Much better to just get into the action and start charming people with your commentary.

My tip on keeping the audience engaged throughout the video is to start off with interesting edited source material. Source material can be interesting because it is relevant/actual; because it shows something new unusual; because it tells a story; etc. Second tip is a bit cliché but a facecam really helps with getting a stronger bond with your audience.
Thank you so much for this amazing feedback - I saw it the other day but havn't had the opportunity to reply until now. I really appreciate it and I have taken it all on board. Luckily a few of my series are nearing an end now (Inside/Rayman 2) so I had some ideas for game tutorials, funny guides and Wifi Battles - all of which allow for a more structured video style, more editing and hopefully something that is genuinely informative for a viewer too - so I shall be working on these even harder now!

Thank you very much for your kind words about my commentary style, I still have a long way to go to get to where I think I can be - but really happy to hear that you found it enjoyable enough. Again hopefully a different and more scripted video style moving forwards will allow me to improve this further

I'll keep the intro for my current series, as it would be odd to stop halfway through - but will be cutting from any new series I start. My retention is pretty good usually but I do see a bit of a drop off when the intro's on so I agree with you :) perhaps one day I can look to get a more professional one!

Ahh facecam :) Maybe one day... I'm alright looking and everything - I just would be worried about the response I guess!

Reactions: Kelkschiz

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Glad you enjoyed my feedback. I am curious to see where you will be in a couple of years from now. I wish you all the best.