I was contacted asking for permission to use my video

Myblairbear

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a youtube channel that has educational videos for kids. I was contacted by a publishing company and was asking me for my permission to use one of my videos on the app they are developing for online school. They said its going to be accessible online and offline and its for non exclusive use. How should I go about this? Should I charge them for it? If yes, how much? It's a four minute video. Do i need a contract? Or is our email enough as an agreement? What else should I know? Any advice please?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How big is your channel, if it's small then this might be a good opportunity for growth & exposure, make sure they show your channel name/give you credit. If someone is visible in this video you may want to ask if they are okey that you will allow this video to be used by other platforms/brands. No idea about contracts, but definitely keep the email exchange.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If it were me, I'd refuse. I mean, they're making an app but don't want to actually create any content?

Otherwise, I'd charge them a licensing fee and highball them something ridiculous like $10,000 and then when they complain it's too much, just say that's the price.

Reactions: Min/Max Munchking

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Depends how attached you are to the content I guess.
It does sound a bit lazy of them! I wonder if all their content ius being sourced from other youtubers etc in the same way?

IF you are disposed to allow it
1. Insist on credit and a link to your channel.
2. Charge them a fee (of your choice) for use, make sure your email exchange makes it clear that its for use of that app only not for any other purchase and that YOU retain sole copyright to the material

IF you think some sort of formal document is needed do a google search for forms where photographers are selling photos, and base it on that.

eg https://legaltemplates.net/form/photo-licensing-agreement/

HeresJonnyy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depends on the size of your channel: if its a big channel then i'm not too sure. but if you are a small channel, then you don't need to charge them a dime. promotion of your channel and credit to your YouTube channel will be way better for you in the long run, than a one time paycheck.

It gives you the opportunity for your channel to be put in front of more eyeballs.

Myblairbear

Reaction score
Hi thank you all for your reply. I have around 40k subs but my channel view is around 30 million. I basically just make animations of learning things.. I am actually torn between letting them use it or not. The extra income would be nice and I would love for my channel to have more exposure but I doubt they would credit me or link my youtube channel. Im thinking of refusing since well I feel like Im still building my own brand and Im not sure if id want other people republishing my content... but what if either way, they would use my content without my consent thinking they won't get caught or anything. If I refuse, should I just straight up tell them I dont want my videos to be republished or should i charge them with a high price of $10,000 like Crown mentioned. Lol.

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wouldn't do it. If they don't have the economy to pay for the content, they intent themselves to earn money on - they probably don't have the bucks to promote the app in such a way that you would get any exposure.
Instead of giving it away for free, or charging them 10k $, what amount would you actually be happy with? Considering that it will be non-exclusive.

Reactions: AfterburnerX

Myblairbear

Reaction score
Just today I got another email from another company in Singapore who want to license my video for broadcasting in their mall kids station.. i have checked and it seems legit.. I have talked to an attorney who could help me with a contract and was suggesting that I should trademark my channel for added protection. Is this really advisable to do? If I do trademark my channel, would I need to register each of my videos too?

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm pretty confident nobody here is more qualified to answer that question than your attorney.
Trademark law is a whole thing.
'Internet lawyers' are worth what you pay... :D

AfterburnerX

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. If they don't have the economy to pay for the content, they intent themselves to earn money on - they probably don't have the bucks to promote the app in such a way that you would get any exposure.
Instead of giving it away for free, or charging them 10k $, what amount would you actually be happy with? Considering that it will be non-exclusive.
What in your estimation is an app promotion budget that would result in a meaningful increase in viewership?
Any other criteria you look for?

Thanks