I want to use the Jaws theme music (for about 15 seconds)

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey all,

I have a channel with no strikes and that I keep down the straight and narrow and only post original content.

I am just finishing up a video that will be just a little over 4 minutes long. I want to insert about 15 seconds worth of the theme music from Jaws. It's one of those pieces of music that nothing else can replace in the mood and message it conveys. It's not necessary to have it in there, but it'd sure be awesome if it was.

I'm quite sure that this forum only advocates zero copyright usage. Or is there room for fair usage here? I've read many different things. I've read that generally under 30 seconds is okay - as long as it isn't a significant portion of your own video. But I've also read copyright material that was 3 seconds long getting flagged. I'd sooner leave it out than get a strike of course.

Can I upload the video as a private video just to see that status and not get a strike?

ziiChex

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You should be okay in my opinion, check out my videos I do tons of videos witth small music clips

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
That definitely wouldn’t count as ‘fair usage.’

It’s possible you may get away with it, but Content ID is getting better every day so it’d only be a matter of time before it’s be flagged and your video is either muted or monetized on their behalf.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
That definitely wouldn’t count as ‘fair usage.’
I agree.

The 15 seconds I guess you want to use is what makes it so recognisable.

It's one of those pieces of music that nothing else can replace in the mood and message it conveys.
This is exactly why you'd get a strike. The music in question adds significant value to a video. Don't risk it if you value your channel. :)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
YouTube Music policies has that song listed under their blanket licenses:
https://www.youtube.com/music_policies
upload_2018-9-24_23-42-4.png

So it can be viewable worldwide, but you won't be able to monetize it. A risk with YouTube's "Music Policies" is that copyright holders can decide they want to pull out of any YouTube negotiated licensing agreement at any moment in the future, which would then cause a take-down for your video.

Using Jaws theme will (rightfully) lead to a copyright claim, which is different than a strike. However, it has the potential to lead to a strike later down the line, especially if the video is overly offensive or something.... :eek:

However, as the above image shows, the video might be eligible for shared monetization if you make a cover version. ^^ The Jaws theme is super easy to play --> D, D# .... D, D# .... D, D# ..D, D# ..D, D# ..D, D# D, D#, D, D#, D, D#, D, D#, C# D# D D# C# D#..... 3 different bass notes for 15 seconds lol! : D But even with covers, you risk a copyright take down in the future.

Reactions: Crown

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Using Jaws theme will (rightfully) lead to a copyright claim, which is different than a strike. However, it has the potential to lead to a strike later down the line, especially if the video is overly offensive or something.... :eek:

However, as the above image shows, the video might be eligible for shared monetization if you make a cover version. ^^ The Jaws theme is super easy to play --> D, D# .... D, D# .... D, D# ..D, D# ..D, D# ..D, D# D, D#, D, D#, D, D#, D, D#, C# D# D D# C# D#..... 3 different bass notes for 15 seconds lol! : D But even with covers, you risk a copyright take down in the future.
lol Nothing offensive in my project.... the Jaws music would be used when my son (back when he was 2) comes around from behind a tent to adjust the camera and tripod - for the second time haha

Perhaps I need a fiddle version of the Jaws theme? : D

AsepaBit

Reaction score
Thanks for an explanation, the easier, the better …