I Seek a Mentor Who Can Help Me Develop a YouTube Channel

Noitartst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hello--I'm trying to start a YouTube channel, learn video editing, how to promote, and all that, but I have a hard time setting structure, and am seeking someone that could help mentor me through the process, like how to (preferably) use DaVinci Resolve 16, the free editing software that I'm trying to master, made harder now that it's difficult to see each other in person. If I could interact with someone two, three times a week for at least an hour at a time, that would probably be optimal, but I do need help. I you yourself can, or know someone that might, please by all means contact me.

I'm battling emotional numbness--a marked decrease in normal feeling and motivation for over a decade; I am trying to do this in part to escape the numbness, so it is in part therapy, and also a challenge. I completed a two-year school degree recently, but now I'm at loose ends, struggling for motivation. I completed a full movie screenplay while at school, though, but that was in part from external pressure. Outside school, it is hard to do anything--even look for work, though once in a routine, I do well. I miss school, but lack more funding, so I am at a quandary.
I've achieved a fair amount while numb, yet it largely came from outside stimuli. I want a to do a YouTube channel, but I in part hope to eventually find motivation from it, so until then, I must prime the pump, and without external support I don't think I can do it, just as I wouldn't have gotten my degree completely alone.
The functional first step, if you ask me, is to learn how to make a basic video for YouTube via DaVinci Resolve, place it on YouTube, and then mange three total. If I can do that, with help, I think I can do more as desired. Question is, how do I find the needed jump-start aid?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi. You made YouTube videos before, right? If yes then maybe you can remember which ones you enjoyed making the most? Basically try making videos about something you have a lot of passion for. In the beginning, channel videos don't have to look professional or have high image quality which should make the process much easier. As for DaVinci Resolve 16, just watch video guides on YouTube, that's how I learned Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop & Lightroom.

Noitartst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I have tried, but I feel stressed, drained, and tired. I have things I'm interested in, and even recorded something, but I then spent three-four hours staring at tutorials. I need interaction to feel engaged, again; that has been the common denominator when I have felt low energy in the past--I find someone I can reach out to, work through the problems with, until I find I can manage them, on my own. Maybe I should talk to a librarian, or something; I can try that, tomorrow. As to making low quality videos, okay--but I really need an emotional lifeline--as is, I can do some work on a screenplay but I is barely, and it took a long time to gain enough confidence and experience to reach that point from a supportive school environment.

I need inspiration, and encouragement.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have tried, but I feel stressed, drained, and tired. I have things I'm interested in, and even recorded something, but I then spent three-four hours staring at tutorials
Simplify things in order to make the process easier/doable. Learning video editing can be complicated at start, take it slow, learn the basics first, simple things just to be able to edit a video & export it.

cy's escapes

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with Mirrorless. Small steps at a time can lead to bigger steps. Finish and post a video? Celebrate the wins when you get them. Set achievable goals. Mine is to be able to produce and post 1 video every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes you just have to get through the creative "block" / brain drain and push through and finish something so you can get to the next idea. You have to find what drives you, and make content from that.

I'm by no means a successful YTer, but I do video production as a career and if you need tips / pointers please don't hesitate to reach out.