I Need Help with How to Approach this Video.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay, I have an animal channel and like most animal channels, I am also vegetarian. I want to do a video about being vegetarian since I have never mentioned it, but I feel like because of the stigma around vegans and vegetarians, I will instantly lose subs quick. I have been vegetarian all my life and want to do a video about it but I don't know how. Can anyone throw some ideas and suggestions and clickbait titles that don't scare people away at me? Thanks !

Reactions: Dustin Jolley

The Humble JuanB

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer
maybe a comedy/horror in the style of little shop of horror type of short film/introduction?

just make it comedic so you dont come off as an arrogant "im better than you cause i dont eat meat snob" as some vegans come off as. its the only advice i can think of as of right now, hope it helps.

sparkypi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really depends on why you're vegetarian. The best way to come at it is honestly and straightforward. Your method of going about this mostly depends on that. For instance, many people are vegetarian because of the way some of the worse animal farms are run, some do it to lose weight, etc., all good reasons. The main thing to be conscious of is how non-vegetarians see the reason you're being vegetarian. Every reason has its group of anti-reasons. I could give more specific advice if I knew the exact reason you are, but generally just avoid being rude, do your research, and you'll be fine.

Might I ask, what is the exact reason you're vegetarian? As an omnivore, perhaps I could help you avoid the main mistakes some vegetarians and vegans make when explaining their decision, no matter what it is. Most of these mistakes are simply innocent tongue-slips and the like, but some are not-so-innocently made, and it's the latter that sometimes cause the stigma against vegetarianism. I could possibly help you avoid both, mainly the latter.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
think of why your sharing the information. maybe putting the video up as a "more about me" style video. Rather than putting it in a way that your selling the lifestyle to others, you should be fine

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It really depends on why you're vegetarian. The best way to come at it is honestly and straightforward. Your method of going about this mostly depends on that. For instance, many people are vegetarian because of the way some of the worse animal farms are run, some do it to lose weight, etc., all good reasons. The main thing to be conscious of is how non-vegetarians see the reason you're being vegetarian. Every reason has its group of anti-reasons. I could give more specific advice if I knew the exact reason you are, but generally just avoid being rude, do your research, and you'll be fine.

Might I ask, what is the exact reason you're vegetarian? As an omnivore, perhaps I could help you avoid the main mistakes some vegetarians and vegans make when explaining their decision, no matter what it is. Most of these mistakes are simply innocent tongue-slips and the like, but some are not-so-innocently made, and it's the latter that sometimes cause the stigma against vegetarianism. I could possibly help you avoid both, mainly the latter.
Thank you for this feedback. I'm vegetarian pretty much because there's no reason for me to eat meat. I don't think it looks appetizing, its not healthy, i don't think animals should be farmed in the conditions they are farmed, and its better for the environment. I think some people choose to go vegetarian so they can answer this better than I can, but for me, it's like asking why someone doesn't eat dogs, rabbit, etc.... like... ewe, why would I? I've never eaten meat before and I just don't see any good reason to eat it. But I can see how explaining this instantly makes people bring out their pitchforks. I honestly get annoyed by a lot of vegans who talk about it because they sound SO SELF RIGHTEOUS! I don't want to sound that way.

sparkypi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay, you have some good reasons, but some of them will be taken the wrong way by non-vegans.

For instance, "it's not healthy". For this one, I'm going to bring up that a group of people went on a "meat only" diet for an entire year and in fact came out healthier than when they started. It may sound crazy to you, which I understand, but even if you don't believe that happened, which is again, understandable, there are people that do. Many people out there believe that eating meat is necessary for survival and can't understand how you can live without it. So I'd leave that part out at the very least, or try to instead bring up research saying being a vegan is at least more healthy than eating meat, rather than saying eating meat is straight-up bad for you.

For the "I don't think animals should be farmed in the conditions they are farmed", I agree halfway. Not all farms are run that way, though, so be sure to bring out a middle-ground position on that one. Perhaps it's just different in different areas, but I know that in the Midwest, most cattle are raised on open fields or fairly clean cattle farms, in a completely normal and healthy way, and you never see more than 20 or so in an acre, so they aren't crowded either. Then again, I know that some companies like to shove as many cattle into a square foot as possible and inject them with growth hormones, which is frankly disgusting, and those places are not very acceptable in anyone's book. So be sure to bring out both sides.

"It's better for the environment" is a confusing one for me. What part is better for the environment, letting the animals live, or removing meat processing plants? If it's the latter, I agree completely, and the former is.. well, let's just say there's a reason we go hunting. I don't know about cows, but I know that if we let all deer live, it will cause several problems in the ecosystem. This is because we've pretty much taken out all natural predators of deer for our own survival, so now if we let them all go, they will overpopulate, causing forests and fields to have fewer resources and giving natural predators more food, so then it goes the other way and the predators overpopulate and deer start to die out, and then since there are too few deer the predators start to die, then when there's more food in the forests the deer start populating again due to lack of predators, and it goes on from there. This is partially the humans' fault from back in the day when we needed to kill predators to survive, or wanted to for their pelts. Now we've thrown off the balance of the ecosystem and if we don't keep hunting deer, all sorts of bad will happen. So we continue to hunt, and there's no point in wasting what we've hunted, so we eat what we kill and try to use the rest in the same spirit as the Native Americans as best as possible.

Also, be sure to bring up "it's like asking why someone doesn't eat dogs, rabbit, etc.... like... ewe, why would I?", because it's fairly relatable to both sides, actually. I can see why someone would go vegan because they see cows and deer the same way they do their cats and dogs. They're both animals, and they both live, so why shouldn't they be protected? This one is completely understandable and relatable, so I'd be sure to leave it in.

I apologize if some of this sounds like it's trying to bash on you or go against what you believe, but truly I am only bringing up the anti-vegans' side of things so you will understand how they will react to your points and a few counter-points they will bring up. I will admit that the things I've written are for the most part things I believe, so that is how I know they are actual beliefs. I hope this helps you form your video in the way you are looking for, and I apologize on behalf of any non-vegans who take it the wrong way and start bashing you in the comments. As much as I don't get being vegan, I see no reason to do that to people that do.

As for how to form the video, it seems the other people responding have some good ideas.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay, you have some good reasons, but some of them will be taken the wrong way by non-vegans.

For instance, "it's not healthy". For this one, I'm going to bring up that a group of people went on a "meat only" diet for an entire year and in fact came out healthier than when they started. It may sound crazy to you, which I understand, but even if you don't believe that happened, which is again, understandable, there are people that do. Many people out there believe that eating meat is necessary for survival and can't understand how you can live without it. So I'd leave that part out at the very least, or try to instead bring up research saying being a vegan is at least more healthy than eating meat, rather than saying eating meat is straight-up bad for you.

For the "I don't think animals should be farmed in the conditions they are farmed", I agree halfway. Not all farms are run that way, though, so be sure to bring out a middle-ground position on that one. Perhaps it's just different in different areas, but I know that in the Midwest, most cattle are raised on open fields or fairly clean cattle farms, in a completely normal and healthy way, and you never see more than 20 or so in an acre, so they aren't crowded either. Then again, I know that some companies like to shove as many cattle into a square foot as possible and inject them with growth hormones, which is frankly disgusting, and those places are not very acceptable in anyone's book. So be sure to bring out both sides.

"It's better for the environment" is a confusing one for me. What part is better for the environment, letting the animals live, or removing meat processing plants? If it's the latter, I agree completely, and the former is.. well, let's just say there's a reason we go hunting. I don't know about cows, but I know that if we let all deer live, it will cause several problems in the ecosystem. This is because we've pretty much taken out all natural predators of deer for our own survival, so now if we let them all go, they will overpopulate, causing forests and fields to have fewer resources and giving natural predators more food, so then it goes the other way and the predators overpopulate and deer start to die out, and then since there are too few deer the predators start to die, then when there's more food in the forests the deer start populating again due to lack of predators, and it goes on from there. This is partially the humans' fault from back in the day when we needed to kill predators to survive, or wanted to for their pelts. Now we've thrown off the balance of the ecosystem and if we don't keep hunting deer, all sorts of bad will happen. So we continue to hunt, and there's no point in wasting what we've hunted, so we eat what we kill and try to use the rest in the same spirit as the Native Americans as best as possible.

Also, be sure to bring up "it's like asking why someone doesn't eat dogs, rabbit, etc.... like... ewe, why would I?", because it's fairly relatable to both sides, actually. I can see why someone would go vegan because they see cows and deer the same way they do their cats and dogs. They're both animals, and they both live, so why shouldn't they be protected? This one is completely understandable and relatable, so I'd be sure to leave it in.

I apologize if some of this sounds like it's trying to bash on you or go against what you believe, but truly I am only bringing up the anti-vegans' side of things so you will understand how they will react to your points and a few counter-points they will bring up. I will admit that the things I've written are for the most part things I believe, so that is how I know they are actual beliefs. I hope this helps you form your video in the way you are looking for, and I apologize on behalf of any non-vegans who take it the wrong way and start bashing you in the comments. As much as I don't get being vegan, I see no reason to do that to people that do.

As for how to form the video, it seems the other people responding have some good ideas.

Best of luck!
Thank you for this insight. For the health part, should I just quote different studies real quick that explain why its healthier? And for the environment, the rainforest is mainly being cut down for cattle ranching. the amount of water and plants and fertilizers and energy needed to raise just one animal is insane. in the end, you could eat one pound of vegetables for every 10 pounds of meat produced. I really appreciate all of this feedback and I see now the anti vegan views that I will need to explain in my video in a neutral way. I love this and thank you so much!

sparkypi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For the health part, should I just quote different studies real quick that explain why its healthier?
Yeah, just look up sources that say it's OK or even better to be vegetarian. There are tons of studies out there about it.

Edit: I just realized now that if you say it's healthier there will be people that say, "No it isn't, being an omnivore is healthier, and you should feel bad!" So maybe instead of saying, "being vegetarian is better", you could appeal to those who disagree by saying, "being vegetarian is just as good, but better in these specific ways". Maybe mention this video about the differences and why it's just as good to be vegetarian (and of course credit the creators) .

/watch?v=sAN1J4PY6is&feature=youtu.be&t=120

And for the environment, the rainforest is mainly being cut down for cattle ranching. the amount of water and plants and fertilizers and energy needed to raise just one animal is insane.
Ohh, okay, yeah that is a huge deal. But.. well, just a choice-of-words thing, "to raise just one animal" isn't quite the best choice. Like I said, there are several cattle farms here in the Midwest where all they do is put the cows in a field and let them graze normally and naturally. So I would say "to raise that many animals" to emphasize that you're talking about the larger, less ethical cattle farms.

Dustin Jolley

Conservative martial artist and comedian
Reaction score
Washington State (can't exactly say where though)
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay, I have an animal channel and like most animal channels, I am also vegetarian. I want to do a video about being vegetarian since I have never mentioned it, but I feel like because of the stigma around vegans and vegetarians, I will instantly lose subs quick. I have been vegetarian all my life and want to do a video about it but I don't know how. Can anyone throw some ideas and suggestions and clickbait titles that don't scare people away at me? Thanks !
Cool. I want to be a vegetarian myself for health reasons and because I feel bad for the animals.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I know quite a few Veggies who dont mention it through fear of the stigma...the only thing I can say really is depending on your style of content if your treating this like a vlog or something similar I wouldnt be too "preachy" about it...I would just treat it as a fun little video where you play up your vegetarianism as a big plot twist considering you run an animal channel and then play it off as why you do it and maybe some of the wonderful food you can have as a vegetarian (You'd be amazed how many people think being veggie begins and ends with salad) xD

But it sounds like quite a few people here have had some good ideas already as well so best of luck with it :)