I need help: Sony cx-440 camcorder as webcam for synced PC screen capture and IRL footage

Tv Head Greg

I've Got It
I have a problem. I can't find a way to get my computer to record myself and screen capture at the same time. I can't get my computer to recognize my Sony cx-440 camcorder as anything other than a external storage device. I'm not super familiar with what I need to do in order to fix my problem. I have tried googling my problem and everything I find either comes up short, states that what I want to do is impossible, or wants to charge $99 a month for Ustream to MAYBE fix my problem.

I figure I should ask here to see if anyone knows of a free solution.

Do I need webcam software? If so, what do you suggest.

With camcorders you have 2 options:
- record footage on SD card and then copy it via USB to PC and sync in editing software
- buy capture card and record HDMI/AV output thru it

Because camcorder isnt webcam, you cant connect it to PC thru USB and record it. It works only as mass storage.

With camcorders you have 2 options:
- record footage on SD card and then copy it via USB to PC and sync in editing software
- buy capture card and record HDMI/AV output thru it

Because camcorder isnt webcam, you cant connect it to PC thru USB and record it. It works only as mass storage.
That's what I'm afraid of. I have a SD Card and the computer does recognize the camcorder as a mass storage device. I'm going to have to see if I can make something work to easily sync both video sources at the same time. Maybe a clapper or something. Or a clap with my hands. Thank you for trying to help.

That's what I'm afraid of. I have a SD Card and the computer does recognize the camcorder as a mass storage device. I'm going to have to see if I can make something work to easily sync both video sources at the same time. Maybe a clapper or something. Or a clap with my hands. Thank you for trying to help.

I usually clap 3 times during recording (at the start once and during video when I have break or something, so I know it is kept in sync) :) And maybe you could think about buying capture card - you could use camcorder as webcam then ;)

I usually clap 3 times during recording (at the start once and during video when I have break or something, so I know it is kept in sync) :) And maybe you could think about buying capture card - you could use camcorder as webcam then ;)
It seems a capture card is going to have to be my route to take if I want HD video for synced Picture in Picture. One other route I've discovered is that a cheap webcam is 5 bucks online. The last route I'm going to try is to see if I can tether my camcorder to my smartphone and wireless transmit to my PC. I just don't know how difficult that process is going to be or if it can be done. I have so much to try though.

Back