I didn't know I was a FAMOUS youtuber! Real life funny and touching story here. And it gave me an IDEA.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So, the other day, I took my two-year-old grandson fishing for the first time. My son is starting a new business and did not have time to take him and he was crying wanting to go fishing. So, I said I would take him. We went to a city park where there is a small lake and set up along the shore. My grandson had his little tiny Dock Demon fishing pole his dad had bought him and I set it up with a bobber and a worm and threw it out. My wife loves to fish but has "Wormaphobia" so I put some yellow corn on here hook and threw her rod in (because she was helping our grandson).

Since this was the first time to take my grandson fishing I brought along my GoPro that I use for some of my youtube videos and had it mounted to my hat, using a head strap. I was in the process of getting my rod setup when all of a sudden, my wife's rod shot off the bank like a rocket and went racing through the water. My heart sank because I knew it was gone. I was a very expensive rod and reel I had bought as a present especially for her too. There was nothing I could do as I sat there staring blankly at the stream of bubbles swiftly going away in the water. And then, I heard my grandson grunting as if he was struggling with something. I looked over at him and his tiny rod was bent double and he was hanging on to it with all he had. By some stroke of providence, his hook had snagged my wife's rod as it went by, and now my grandson was fighting whatever fish had taken the rod. OH BOY! This fish was just about to rip the rod out of his little hands when I got to him and took over. It was one heck of a fight, to say the least, but with my years of fishing expertise, I was able to not only get my wife's rod back, but also landed the 12-pound carp that had taken it. It would have made an awesome video, but it all happened so fast, I never had a chance to turn my GorPro on. Yeah, I know. I kicked myself in the rear several times already. But here is a picture of him with his fish.

Okay, so now the story gets even more interesting. There were several other people fishing along the shore that day, including a couple of boy that were maybe 12 years old. All of the commotions of the big fish fight got a lot of attention and several people came over and watched me land the big fish. The two boys were just completely amazed at the size of the fish and kept saying, "Are you an expert fisherman? You must be! We have been here for hours and have not caught anything, and you show up and catch a huge fish in just minutes." Then they saw my GoPro on my head. They were like, "Man! You got a GoPro! Wow! Do you make fishing videos?" I said, "As a matter of fact, I do. I have a youtube channel". The boys asked what it was and immediately went to it on their phones. When they saw that I had thousands of subs, then went absolutely nuts. "YOU ARE FAMOUS YOUTUBER!" OMG! I CAN'T BELIEVE AM TALKING TO A REAL YOUTUBER!

I am older and I honestly was completely surprised by their reaction to me. Meeting me was, to them, like I would have reacted when I was a kid if had met John Wayne. The experience really opened my eye to how this new generation looks at us youtubers, and I don't even consider myself a successful YouTuber with only four thousand subs. But to those boys, they were meeting a famous star when they met me.

Well, from that point on, those guys were glued to me. I felt really sorry for them because they had not caught anything and so I asked them to bring their rods to me and let me rig them up. Poor little guys had no idea how to fish. I changed out their rigs and within minutes they were catching fish and having the time of their lives. Of course, they were calling everyone they knew and telling them that they were fishing with a "Famous YouTuber" who was teaching them how to fish.

Long story short, by the time I left that park I had a group of ten or more people around me, from 60 years old down to 10, and I was teaching all of them how to fish because none of them knew how. I helped a 60-year-old grandma catch the first fish of her life. It was a very good day. I helped my grandson catch his first fish (a monster) and a whole bunch of other people. I went home with a very full heart that day, and I did not take one second of video.

So, all of this got me thinking. Maybe I could use my Youtube FAME to help more people like this. Maybe, I could start a program where I invite young people like those boys to come and learn how to fish, and make a video series out of it. Maybe calling it, Fishing with The Jungle Explorer, or something like that. I have been mulling this over for a while now and I would really like to do it right. Maybe get some sponsors to donate fishing gear and stuff. I know I would need a crew to help me because there is no way I can be the videographer and the fishing instructor at the same time.

What do you guys think about all of this?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks Dutchie. What do you think about my idea of doing videos about me teaching young people how to fish for the first time. My heart really went out to those two boys. Out there by themselves desperately trying to fish, with no parent to help them. It was just so sad to me. How many other kids are there out there like that? A lot, I know, because this is not the first time I have taught complete strangers how to fish like that, but it is the first time they looked at me as more than just an old guy on the bank fishing. And it is not that I care a whole lot about notoriety, but you may not be aware of this, but young people these days don't have a lot of respect for the wisdom of us older people. If I can use this whole "YouTuber" thing to bridge that generation gap, it might just be the tool that will allow me to reach these younger people so that they will actually listen and learn. I love teaching young people how to fish, and many of them want to learn.

It's just a thought. I was thinking about maybe posting an invite for people to meet me at the park at a certain time to learn how to fish. I would provide everything for them, rods reels, tackle, bait (this is where sponsors would be a great help). But how to approach the whole making a youtube video out of it is what I am still trying to figure out. I have never video other people before. I guess I would have to get them to sign a release of some sort that would allow me to put the video online. This is what I need some advice on.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
It sounds like an awesome idea! Especially if it is a passion for you!

So yes, you will have to take some precautions. Providing all gear is great, but let people bring their own as well, so you can rig it properly for them and they can use their own gear properly next time. Try reaching out through your established network of Youtube (and maybe FB?) first, making it clear that you will be filming and publishing the event. Basically free fishing lessons with the small trade off of being filmed. Most people (especially kids) really won't mind. Do keep in mind that you might have to run it past their parents first.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
What a great story - thanks for sharing.

You should ABSOLUTELY start a series where you teach people to fish. Sounds like a winner for sure.

If you need to hire a crew I would recommend that you try to get a sponsor to just pay for the cost of a videographer to start with, and then as the series gains traction you can gradually ask for more.

Good luck with it!

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Careful Yt will monetize your videos/channel if you show a fish dying with a child in the video. Cruelty to animals, kids safety, no suffering - the new Yt regs with videos featuring kids - only happy smiling kids and situations, definitely no dead animals.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It sounds like an awesome idea! Especially if it is a passion for you!

So yes, you will have to take some precautions. Providing all gear is great, but let people bring their own as well, so you can rig it properly for them and they can use their own gear properly next time. Try reaching out through your established network of Youtube (and maybe FB?) first, making it clear that you will be filming and publishing the event. Basically free fishing lessons with the small trade off of being filmed. Most people (especially kids) really won't mind. Do keep in mind that you might have to run it past their parents first.

Yeah, that was one reason I did not film the boys in the story; their parents were nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, the world we live in is such that I will have to have participants sign a Liability Release and Video Release Form. I think I would create a signup page on my website where anyone who would want to participate would fill out an application and sign these two forms before being considered to participate. It is sad that this is what we have to do these days to help people, but we live in a Suer Society world where people will sue you at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad