I can take down someone's channel...

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure why I'm sharing this story with the universe, but I'm curious on what other Youtube creators have to say about my situation.

A few days ago, I checked in Studio if there were any new copyright violations from people copying my videos. There was a new violation from this guy who used some bird footage of mine in his most recent upload. Normally, I have these videos removed, but there are some situations where I don't bother. If my footage is a very small part of the video in question, it's a small channel, and the video has received minimal views, then I often don't bother requesting a removal. But I may comment on the video asking where my credit for the footage is. This latest violation was one where I'd usually not bother with. My footage on the video was about 40 seconds out of 75 minutes. The channel has about 300 subscribers and the video had received about 30 views. But when I watched the video in question, I saw he had put the copyright symbol and his name in the bottom corner for the entire duration of the video! (The upload was a compilation of beautiful birds of the world. He probably showcased a hundred species and I'm guessing all from borrowed footage.) That just struck a nerve with me and I've had the video removed. (I'd imagine he put a lot of work into that!) I've looked at the rest of his videos and there are another two incidents where he has used my footage (and of course claimed copyright on the screen). I can be strike two and strike three for his channel if I file a claim against both those videos.

My impression: I actually think, from what I see, that this individual truly loves nature and wants to share something of beauty to the world.

What I think I'll do: Write him and explain the situation and say we should all get credit and links in his videos and that he should immediately stop claiming copyright on all these people's work.

If he doesn't respond, or responds inappropriately, then I have no problems throwing strikes two and three at his channel.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Graphic Designer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's very nice of you to give him a chance to rectify the situation. I am sure that he will comply, because having a video taken down for copyright violation is a very big wake-up call.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What I think I'll do: Write him and explain the situation and say we should all get credit and links in his videos and that he should immediately stop claiming copyright on all these people's work.
a fair & mature decision :up2:
checked in Studio if there were any new copyright violations from people copying my videos
interesting, I'll check this out :wideyed2:

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's very nice of you to give him a chance to rectify the situation. I am sure that he will comply, because having a video taken down for copyright violation is a very big wake-up call.
Just going by gut feel, it seems this person isn't being an a** or profiting from this. They've put a lot of work into the their channel - although with a poor approach. What if it's some 10 year old's channel? I'm trying to be reasonable. And yet, I also put some pointed remarks in the Discussion section of their channel. I'll reassess after I get a reply! : )

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber

If he doesn't respond, or responds inappropriately, then I have no problems throwing strikes two and three at his channel.
I think this is very reasonable - keep records just incase they then copy right strike your original content...