How To Request Video Game Review Copies

Alloy7Video

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey gang,

Over the years, I've worked with many game publishers and developers to establish relationships as a YouTube creator. As a game reviewer and live streamer, I thought it may be useful to have a proven way to request review copies for games.

You'd be surprised at just how helpful and willing even some of the big-named publishers are to work with YouTubers who are not huge. Below you'll find my method for requesting review copies for games. Please bear in mind that this is only to be used by legitimate reviewers, streamers and lets play aficionados. It's not for folks just trying to get free games.

I'd attach a link to the video explaining this, but apparently, I'm not allowed to do that. But the text is below.

Summary:

1. Get in contact with the Publisher or Developer's Public Relations department

2. Give the Publisher or Developer your Value Proposition - Why should they give you access to their game? What's in it For them?

3. Be patient. You won't always get a game and some companies may have standards that you don't meet. Further, the PR departments are often dealing with 1000s of other reviewers just like you.

4. Use gamespress dot com to find PR information.

5. Say thank you and follow through on your promise to review or showcase their game.

6. Send them links to your work. You'd be surprised how many videos developers watch about their products.

Each week I do videos on YouTube teaching tips just like this. Feel free to check them out if you found this helpful.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
This looks interesting. But how big is small? You will understand that there's some difference between 50, 500, and 1000 subscribers.

Reactions: Alloy7Video

Alloy7Video

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This looks interesting. But how big is small? You will understand that there's some difference between 50, 500, and 1000 subscribers.
Certainly. Small is really relative to the publisher. I've had a publisher tell me that I needed at least 10,000 subs before they could work with me. In that same breath, I had an even bigger AAA company offer me a review copy when I had less than 1000 subscribers. It really all comes down to your value proposition and how the publisher perceives it.

I wish I could show you the video as I go into more detail about why my value proposition is what it is. But, I can tell you, what I offer publishers is not just what I do on YouTube. I also write reviews and editorials independently for online publications and my own website. ;)

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
I was thinking about making an article about this. Myself and one of my close Youtube friends had been getting in touch with developers and even having them come to us to showcase their games. After you've done your video, keep in touch with the developers, I've had some come back for feedback on how the game plays for us or if we could participate in tournaments (being popular guests). It's always great to get involved with the community that keeps you afloat.

WarriorDan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey gang,

Over the years, I've worked with many game publishers and developers to establish relationships as a YouTube creator. As a game reviewer and live streamer, I thought it may be useful to have a proven way to request review copies for games.

You'd be surprised at just how helpful and willing even some of the big-named publishers are to work with YouTubers who are not huge. Below you'll find my method for requesting review copies for games. Please bear in mind that this is only to be used by legitimate reviewers, streamers and lets play aficionados. It's not for folks just trying to get free games.

I'd attach a link to the video explaining this, but apparently, I'm not allowed to do that. But the text is below.

Summary:

1. Get in contact with the Publisher or Developer's Public Relations department

2. Give the Publisher or Developer your Value Proposition - Why should they give you access to their game? What's in it For them?

3. Be patient. You won't always get a game and some companies may have standards that you don't meet. Further, the PR departments are often dealing with 1000s of other reviewers just like you.

4. Use gamespress dot com to find PR information.

5. Say thank you and follow through on your promise to review or showcase their game.

6. Send them links to your work. You'd be surprised how many videos developers watch about their products.

Each week I do videos on YouTube teaching tips just like this. Feel free to check them out if you found this helpful.
Great outline. Pretty much what I did back when I worked as a staff writer for a popular game review site a year or so back.
Very useful for both YouTubers and those working in gaming media in general.

HomelessRyder

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for this man, I have a gaming channel and have reached out before to publishers, but never got a response. I'll have to try again using your outlines!