How To Improve The Audio Quality of Your Video

Amalia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey guys,

so I just got the criticism that my audio quality isn't that good, and I've actually noticed it myself. So I want to hear different opinions on how to change and improve it - what do you guys recommend? Should I buy a microphone? Or a software?

Sorry, I'm really not good at these things xD

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Software won't help. You're recording voice with a small microphone (embedded camera mic I'd wager, either in a phone or DSLR) and you're doing it from a significant distance away. The further away from the mic you get, the more room echo and background noise will be picked up because your voice is not hitting the mic with enough force to drown out the background noise.

For the kinds of videos that you're doing, the right set of gear is either a shotgun mic (Rode Videomic) which mounts to the top of a DSLR and points directly at you, or a lavalier mic which clips to your shirt with a cable running along the floor to your recording device.

Either of those solutions will help get rid of that echo and background noise. You may see people suggest that you just use Audacity and noise removal, but your situation is more serious than noise removal is useful for. It will simply make your audio sound robot and hollow.

Reactions: Shehzad and Amalia

Amalia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks a lot for your help! I already know much more about audio and sound just by reading your reply haha
If getting a mic is the best solution to my problem, I'll definitely start saving for one!

CloudyIce

Currently Earthbound
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Tarmack is right, but getting fancy equipment can be expensive!

I did notice some things that might be able to help you in the meantime.
Your audio quality itself actually doesn't sound that bad, definitely from a small mic that's a part of your camera/phone, but not terrible. Theres just alot of background/white noise in general that you might be able to eliminate by closing windows, being in rooms with no computers, fridges, noisy stuff like that. Also the room itself matters, try different areas in your house and see if you can find less echoey rooms. Your milage may vary there.

The most important thing to note is it doesn't matter how high quality everything is at the end of the day. Your content is what matters! Good content will keep people watching regardless.
A mic will still be a good investment, but you can always get an even better one later!

That being said, keep up the good work!

Reactions: Amalia

Amalia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Tarmack is right, but getting fancy equipment can be expensive!

I did notice some things that might be able to help you in the meantime.
Your audio quality itself actually doesn't sound that bad, definitely from a small mic that's a part of your camera/phone, but not terrible. Theres just alot of background/white noise in general that you might be able to eliminate by closing windows, being in rooms with no computers, fridges, noisy stuff like that. Also the room itself matters, try different areas in your house and see if you can find less echoey rooms. Your milage may vary there.

The most important thing to note is it doesn't matter how high quality everything is at the end of the day. Your content is what matters! Good content will keep people watching regardless.
A mic will still be a good investment, but you can always get an even better one later!

That being said, keep up the good work!
Alright, I'll definitely keep everything in mind - thanks a lot for the answer! I'll try to eliminate all the background noise and maybe find a better room or make it less echoey, before I start investing!

Reactions: CloudyIce