How to grow with next to no subscribers?

Poondeh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Hey! ^.^
I used to have a YouTube channel with a decent enough following (800 subscribers) but have decided to start fresh. For reasons I don't want to go into, I can't plug my new channel with a video on my old one.

So basically, I'm new again :D
I completely forgot how hard it was to grow with next to nothing and it seems so much harder to now than it did 3 years ago when I last started. Anybody have good advice on getting your content out there a bit more?
I'm against doing self-promotion, and I am not a fan of doing collabs with people I don't know, so those two options are gone.

Thanks for reading :)

Alexis Claudio Music

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello! I have a few tips that might help you on this new fresh start:

1. Upload consistently. Create an upload schedule and stick to it. The more videos you put out the better. Note: Uploading lots of low quality content can hurt your channel instead of helping so make sure that it is quality content but as frequent as you can.
2. SEO - Make sure that your Title, Descriptions and tags are properly entered in. (I think this is super Important so that your content gets out there)
3. Thumbnail - Do some research, look at some of your favorite YouTubers and try to create Thumbnails that look good and try to create something similar.
4. Social Media - This may or may not help some people but is worth the chance. I have gotten subs and views from social media before. I mainly use Instagram/Facebook. I think Twitter is good for when you already have a big fan base.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director

1. Upload consistently. Create an upload schedule and stick to it. The more videos you put out the better. Note: Uploading lots of low quality content can hurt your channel instead of helping so make sure that it is quality content but as frequent as you can.
2. SEO - Make sure that your Title, Descriptions and tags are properly entered in. (I think this is super Important so that your content gets out there)
3. Thumbnail - Do some research, look at some of your favorite YouTubers and try to create Thumbnails that look good and try to create something similar.
4. Social Media - This may or may not help some people but is worth the chance. I have gotten subs and views from social media before. I mainly use Instagram/Facebook. I think Twitter is good for when you already have a big fan base.

Definitely agree with everything they mentioned above.

Only thing I'd like to add (which requires a little bit of money and research) is Adwords. I haven't tried it yet myself (am waiting a little longer before doing so) but it's promotion via Google and Youtube themselves with required funds depending on your budget.

And I know you're against collaborations but they definitely do help if the option is available to you.

Best of luck!!! =]

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
yeh.. forget 'advice on getting your content out there a bit more' or any other magic tricks. Your missing the elefant in the room. YOUTUBE is the 2nd biggest search engine out there. You already have the platform to support you. What you gotta do is:
1. Make something thats worth watching. I've not looked at your uploads but if they are good quality and offer value to someone then they will get good retention and be suggested more.
2. Concentrate on good SEO.. so many people whine about no1 watching their videos when youtube have no way of knowing what you made or suggesting it in search because the youtuber did't bother doing good titles, description, and keywords.. Instead they just upload and start asking dum questions about where can they dump video links to promote video. Nowhere useful is the answer.
3. Don't fall into trap of making content that there is no search volume for otherwise you have wasted you time. You can do that when you have subscribers that will be notified to watch it but before then work smarter and see whats trending.
4. Forget about upload schedules.. if you don't have subscribers that don't matter. Don't let the clock or calendar dictate when you put videos out.. else they're going to be rushed and trash. See 1.

Poondeh

Reaction score
Channel Type

Thanks for the long response :D
I'm gonna get into the habit of recording at a regular schedule, but I'm not going for daily uploads. I'm trying to improve the quality of them compared to my old videos.
I think I'm doing decently at SEO. I use a tool to give good tags, and spend some time messing with the description. The title doesn't take too long, I try not make it too clickbaity, but also appealing (which is hard on YouTube :p)
I spend about 30 minutes on a thumbnail. I always just did whatever with it, but I definitely will consider looking at examples of other successful YouTubers and see how they do it.
I need to spend time on social media for sure :p I don't have any other accounts linked to my channel

Thank you again! ^.^

Poondeh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Definitely agree with everything they mentioned above.

Only thing I'd like to add (which requires a little bit of money and research) is Adwords. I haven't tried it yet myself (am waiting a little longer before doing so) but it's promotion via Google and Youtube themselves with required funds depending on your budget.

And I know you're against collaborations but they definitely do help if the option is available to you.

Best of luck!!! =]
I don't know if I would invest money into YouTube just yet. Also I will look into it :)
And I've just had bad experiences with collaborations involved with people I met online in the past.

Reactions: Farley Productions

Poondeh

Reaction score
Channel Type
yeh.. forget 'advice on getting your content out there a bit more' or any other magic tricks. Your missing the elefant in the room. YOUTUBE is the 2nd biggest search engine out there. You already have the platform to support you. What you gotta do is:
1. Make something thats worth watching. I've not looked at your uploads but if they are good quality and offer value to someone then they will get good retention and be suggested more.
2. Concentrate on good SEO.. so many people whine about no1 watching their videos when youtube have no way of knowing what you made or suggesting it in search because the youtuber did't bother doing good titles, description, and keywords.. Instead they just upload and start asking dum questions about where can they dump video links to promote video. Nowhere useful is the answer.
3. Don't fall into trap of making content that there is no search volume for otherwise you have wasted you time. You can do that when you have subscribers that will be notified to watch it but before then work smarter and see whats trending.
4. Forget about upload schedules.. if you don't have subscribers that don't matter. Don't let the clock or calendar dictate when you put videos out.. else they're going to be rushed and trash. See 1.
Thank you :D
I will definitely work on the SEO side of things :) And I should definitely look at topics trending. Never even thought of that.

TastesSeoulGood

Vlogging my adventures in Korea
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you :D
I will definitely work on the SEO side of things :) And I should definitely look at topics trending. Never even thought of that.
Yeah. Definitely work on that. You get 5000 characters for your description. Don't be afraid to use them! Your titles and tags seem weak, as well. For example, your video "My first video" - how do you expect people to find that? I don't know anything about gaming, so I won't comment on what a good title for that video is, but if you're putting time and effort into editing and thumbnails, you need to put the same effort into your SEO. It's important!

Good luck!

Poondeh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Yeah. Definitely work on that. You get 5000 characters for your description. Don't be afraid to use them! Your titles and tags seem weak, as well. For example, your video "My first video" - how do you expect people to find that? I don't know anything about gaming, so I won't comment on what a good title for that video is, but if you're putting time and effort into editing and thumbnails, you need to put the same effort into your SEO. It's important!

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! I do need to work on a good description and tags :p Never researched too far into SEO

Stephanie Nakagawa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Try to video your day (vlog) like when you plan to go to a mall today, video and shoot it, upload it on youtube and let viewers view your videos.

It's so easy to vlog especially when you highlight the most happiest moment of your day. Example: Eating at mcdonalds.