How to get past the mindset of “this video should be good.”

TheEzeJC

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to get past the mindset of “this video should be good.”
Lately, I’ve been trying to make some videos, but I keep stopping myself. Sometimes I record, but then delete the recording. Other times, I consider recording, but I don’t. Mostly the reasons I tell myself:
- This videos should be of good quality, not overdone
- This video will represent my channel.
- This video probably won’t get discovered.

I guess I’m overthinking the video making process and thinking too much into the future. If you have faced this problem, what have you done to overcome it?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to get past the mindset of “this video should be good.”
Lately, I’ve been trying to make some videos, but I keep stopping myself. Sometimes I record, but then delete the recording. Other times, I consider recording, but I don’t. Mostly the reasons I tell myself:

I guess I’m overthinking the video making process and thinking too much into the future. If you have faced this problem, what have you done to overcome it?

I know exactly what you mean.

I struggle with this on occasions. My advice is try not to overthink things and try not to stress about things you have no control over. Remember - Too much analysis = paralysis. After you've finished a video, think about what was good about it and think what could be better. Then for the next video, try to make some aspect of it a little bit better than the previous one. Maybe your thumbnails could be better. Look up tutorials and practise. Maybe your voice was a bit flat or the lighting wasn't great. Try to research how to improve it and practise it for the next video. No video will ever be perfect and it's not an efficient use of your time to get it to 100% perfect. The best we can do is try to get as many things right as possible. If you do that eventually you'll do a video where you get a lot of the important stuff right and the video does well. :)

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have had this same problem from time to time, but then I remember iv had a number of video's that iv posted that I thought sucked that did really well. accually for that matter seems like most the time when I think a video is really good it kind of flops and it seems like its always the ones I don't like that it does well...lol. go figure.

sometimes i have to remind myself its youtube it doesn't have to be perfect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

I think many creators actually do this and I'm someone who does suffer from a similar mindset so allow me to help you out.

- Not entirely sure what the "not overdone" means but I assume it's in regards to editing while over editing is a thing unless you go absolutley nuts with the effects editing adds to the content, it should compliment the video not be the main staple of the video (unless it's a montage or something along those lines then sure go nuts) A good idea to stop you from deleting things unessasarily is to get a second opinion from someone who is honest but has an interest in the type of content you create.

- In regards to representing your channel well... I've found that a lot of creators decide to delete or not make certain videos because it doesn't match their channel/brand but your videos, your brand in the case of youtube is you. It is what you decide to share with your audience if you decide to only create one type of video and strictly to stick to formats to be channel/brand appropriate you'll find that your content has no room to grow, evolve and change and your videos will stagnate and ultimatley be the same thing but with slight differences. It's why some channels that have uploaded thousands of videos never grow they stick to one format/category and expect results, trying something new branching off to different kinds of content even if it is still within gaming is always benefital look at the big channels that you watch are their videos from the beginning exactly the same as the videos they create now? Nope it's because they've allowed some wiggle room when it comes to content and not stuck to what is an appropritate representation of their channel.

- Finally not uploading because a video wont get discovered sounds awfully contradicting, if you upload the video it's possible that people will discover it, they might not but if you never upload the video it has a 100% chance of never being discovered ever. It's like a fisherman getting upset that he didn't catch any fish when he didn't even put his line in the water.

My advice (I've taken a quick peek at your channel) if discoverability worries you then work on it learn about tags, work on your thumbnails (there's room for improvement), Create titles that are descriptive of your content but will also grab the attention of someone scrolling. Always Strive to improve no matter how good you are there's always space to improve. Look up editing techniques not just video but learn to clean up audio aswell people are more easily offended by their ears than their eyes so if there's any flaws in your audio it's more likely to put off someone who actually has discovered you. I watch each of my own videos before I upload them and depending what it is I figure out whether it will acheive the goal/purpose of which I created it. Will it make people think? Would I find this type of content entertaining? Will my audience learn something? Etc.
In terms of maintaining conversational topics I suggest if you're making a video solo having a few bulletpoints of things you can talk about during a playthrough so that there's as little down time as possible and less silence to cut out.
If recording with friends or in a group just be yourself and have a good time if you are enjoying yourself your audience likely will too. I also use banter (joking around) when recording with others to keep everyone's energy high.

I've written quite a lot here but I think it's all important and has helped me greatly when creating content honestly just don't doubt yourself and release content you're proud to call your own.
If you want any more advice from me or just want to chat this applies to anyone reading this hit me up here or elsewhere (I'm easy to find twitter is best) I'm always happy to talk youtube and content I'm here to educate and entertain even outside of my own channel xD

Reactions: TheEzeJC

TheEzeJC

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you for your reply. It’s very useful.
I think many creators actually do this and I'm someone who does suffer from a similar mindset so allow me to help you out.

- Not entirely sure what the "not overdone" means but I assume it's in regards to editing while over editing is a thing unless you go absolutley nuts with the effects editing adds to the content, it should compliment the video not be the main staple of the video (unless it's a montage or something along those lines then sure go nuts) A good idea to stop you from deleting things unessasarily is to get a second opinion from someone who is honest but has an interest in the type of content you create.

- In regards to representing your channel well... I've found that a lot of creators decide to delete or not make certain videos because it doesn't match their channel/brand but your videos, your brand in the case of youtube is you. It is what you decide to share with your audience if you decide to only create one type of video and strictly to stick to formats to be channel/brand appropriate you'll find that your content has no room to grow, evolve and change and your videos will stagnate and ultimatley be the same thing but with slight differences. It's why some channels that have uploaded thousands of videos never grow they stick to one format/category and expect results, trying something new branching off to different kinds of content even if it is still within gaming is always benefital look at the big channels that you watch are their videos from the beginning exactly the same as the videos they create now? Nope it's because they've allowed some wiggle room when it comes to content and not stuck to what is an appropritate representation of their channel.

- Finally not uploading because a video wont get discovered sounds awfully contradicting, if you upload the video it's possible that people will discover it, they might not but if you never upload the video it has a 100% chance of never being discovered ever. It's like a fisherman getting upset that he didn't catch any fish when he didn't even put his line in the water.

My advice (I've taken a quick peek at your channel) if discoverability worries you then work on it learn about tags, work on your thumbnails (there's room for improvement), Create titles that are descriptive of your content but will also grab the attention of someone scrolling. Always Strive to improve no matter how good you are there's always space to improve. Look up editing techniques not just video but learn to clean up audio aswell people are more easily offended by their ears than their eyes so if there's any flaws in your audio it's more likely to put off someone who actually has discovered you. I watch each of my own videos before I upload them and depending what it is I figure out whether it will acheive the goal/purpose of which I created it. Will it make people think? Would I find this type of content entertaining? Will my audience learn something? Etc.
In terms of maintaining conversational topics I suggest if you're making a video solo having a few bulletpoints of things you can talk about during a playthrough so that there's as little down time as possible and less silence to cut out.
If recording with friends or in a group just be yourself and have a good time if you are enjoying yourself your audience likely will too. I also use banter (joking around) when recording with others to keep everyone's energy high.

I've written quite a lot here but I think it's all important and has helped me greatly when creating content honestly just don't doubt yourself and release content you're proud to call your own.
If you want any more advice from me or just want to chat this applies to anyone reading this hit me up here or elsewhere (I'm easy to find twitter is best) I'm always happy to talk youtube and content I'm here to educate and entertain even outside of my own channel xD

likeups

Reaction score
Website
www.likesups.com
Channel Type
Musician
thanks for sharing this great information with us. here some points to gain traffic on your YouTube video-
should be upload unique content videos
don't copy of any YouTuber
promote your videos on social media channels

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber

From my experience it never ends, I guess thats what motivate me to keep creating because I want to create a create video one day that will resonate with many in my niche. I always discover mistakes on my videos after uploading it although I have gone through it over and over during recording editing and a review before uploading it to my channel.

My advise upload it and you will start looking at it from a different view when people start liking, giving you positive comments and even subscribing.

very few people will tell you they didn't have that feeling when they got started....So just do it.