How to disable info cards in YouTube?

bluntc0ncussi0n

Reaction score
I'm trying to read text in a video that's being blocked by annotations. I tried unchecking "Show in-video info cards" under the Playback and Performance menu in the YouTube web settings, which didn't seem to have any effect. I looked up multiple links on Google and that's what it told me. If someone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated!

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi, congrats on 1st post,,,,,,,,,,,,, interesting question, I recently started inserting cards & was actually thinking if it would block any important visual information,,, hope someone will provide a good suggestion/answer

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the YouTube main forum. :)

bluntc0ncussi0n

Reaction score
Moved to the YouTube main forum. :)
I'm not sure how any of these posts answer my question, or why I haven't received a decent answer yet despite this question being three days old at this point. I appreciate you congratulating me though, even though I'm not sure what you're congratulating me on exactly.

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure what you're congratulating me on exactly
I was congratulating you on getting here, for example I wish I got here much earlier, this forum will likely open a lot of doors for you, of course some questions will be more tricky to answer, it's not like there's an army of YouTube professionals looking for questions to answer on this forum, but I am sure that someone does have an answer, but it may take time for that person to navigate here
Moved to the YouTube main forum
perhaps Crown may suggest someone who knows

bluntc0ncussi0n

Reaction score
I was congratulating you on getting here, for example I wish I got here much earlier, this forum will likely open a lot of doors for you, of course some questions will be more tricky to answer, it's not like there's an army of YouTube professionals looking for questions to answer on this forum, but I am sure that someone does have an answer, but it may take time for that person to navigate here

perhaps Crown may suggest someone who knows
Sure thing. I'm just trying to find out how to do the things I mentioned in the OP, which was remove info cards. Doesn't seem to be as easy as most people have described. Maybe it's out of date? Is it impossible to remove them?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Maybe you can post a screenshot? I have been a Youtuber for over 8 years and I have no idea what you mean by "info cards"

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe you can post a screenshot? I have been a Youtuber for over 8 years and I have no idea what you mean by "info cards"
info cards screen.JPG
it's that long rectangular white bar in TOP RIGHT with black letters inside, he is asking how to disable it as a viewer, maybe some adblocker?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
it's that long rectangular white bar in TOP RIGHT with black letters inside, he is asking how to disable it as a viewer, maybe some adblocker?

That's a video card - A card showing a link to a video. I think OP is talking about something else. Or maybe that is what he's talking about. I don't know.

There used to be "video annotations" with which you could write info (just a message without a link) on the screen and position it wherever you wanted on the screen. But annotations are no longer a feature. They were phased out a while ago because they don't show on mobile devices.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Are you referring to actual annotations or the end cards? In Video Info Cards are another thing altogether, I wouldn't recommend turning them off because they're pretty unobtrusive and you can actually close/minimise them.

End cards (which is what I think you're referring to) can't be turned off as far as I'm aware and yes it's annoying, I've had situations where text has been covered because the creator didn't have the foresight to add an outro for their end cards. I don't believe YouTube would ever add an option for viewers to turn these off because it would then make them somewhat redundant, YouTube tries to encourage both creators to use them & viewers to click them. Unfortunately, it's up to the creators to prep them properly.

Annotations on the other hand; if you're still somehow seeing them (which you shouldn't be?) then I wouldn't know how to disable those because YouTube stopped support for this feature years ago & disabled them on videos from what I recall. There would be no way to disable them because the new players don't display the option, but then again I haven't seen an old video that should have them.

Reactions: Crown