How to Change Upload Encoding Settings When Using iMovie?

Ryan Robbins

Reaction score
iMovie doesn't give you any options to change the encoding settings. I want to set my encoding settings to what YouTube recommends, though. I've heard that you can export the file as a quicktime file, and you can control the settings there.

I've looked all over the internet for a tutorial on how to do this. I know with programs like Adobe Premiere you can easily alter the encoding settings. Unfortunately, iMovie doesn't provide this ability.

So, does anyone know how I can alter my encoding settings even if I'm using iMovie to edit the footage?

Thanks.

TheTigersuitGuy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
iMovie V10 does not allow the user to define encoding settings, as Apple moved iMovie away from an actual editing suite to being more of a simple tool for people to make their holiday videos with. If you still have iMovie V9 or can get it, that allows you to define encoding settings and also has a template for YouTube encoding. iMovie 10 is the purple logo and iMovie 9 has a gold one.

Ryan Robbins

Reaction score
TigersuitGuy, thanks for your reply. I'm now using FCPX, and even FCPX doesn't seem to give me all the encoding settings I need to get my encoding settings precisely as YouTube wants. What editing software do you use?