How to brand your channel. Questions answered. FULL TUTORIAL!

Was this thread helpful to you?

• Hell yeah m8! Thanks!

• Kind of, but I still have a few questions that were unanswered.

• Naw, you need to get your s*** right, boy....

Results are only viewable after voting.

MURKULATER

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello and Welcome back, my name is Murkulater A.K.A. Murk the savant, and I think it's about time us Youtubers take things seriously!!! Whenever I do something, I make sure I put in 100% effort into it. Never "half-a**" do something, especially when you want it to become a source of income.

READY!??!

Question:

• What the hell is branding, and how can I get me some of that? I've heard a lot of people on youtube(and in the youtube community) say that branding is the second most important thing to have, besides good content.
Answer:

Branding is a visual representation of your channel and your content. At first glance, it will tell the viewer what to expect from your channel and whether or not they want to stay to see more. It is the frontline to viewer engagement and interaction.

Generally, your brand will be showcased in a few ways:
  1. A banner on your channel that people will see the instant they click on your channel link(or are redirected to your channel some other way). Make sure that this is grand and inspiring. Make other people who want to be like you envy you, and people who didn't want to be like you.....WANT TO BE LIKE YOU! Banners usually have some kind of information in it too(though it isn't mandatory to have any on there).
  2. An icon or logo that will be imagery representation of your true self. This will tell the viewer what type of person(or people) you are without you having to say a word. This icon will also most likely be on your twitter, facebook, instagram, steam, soundcloud....etc. Remember, this is a representation of YOU; make it so that when they see it, they will want to visit your channel and see your f***in' awesome content! Also, icons should always be square shaped.....4x4, 5x5, 6x6, you get the picture...
  3. A cool a**(and catchy) Channel Name. Despite people thinking that it does; your name doesn't have to have anything to do with your content. You want it to get to the point where people WANT to remember your name! People remember images way more than they remember names, but images can't be searched like names can, so you want them to remember your name. Try to not have your channel name be your actual name......that's f***in' boring and it doesn't resonate with people as well as a cool-a** name like MURKUL8TER does!
  4. A suave-a** color palette. This will be your channel's theme. It will be the colors that you choose to use for all of your branding. Keep this close in mind; as if you intend on paying a freelancer to make this for you, they wil most likely ask this as one of the 8 trillion other questions they will have. For my channel, I use a notable blue-to-black color with an orangey highlight. My logo is full orange as I want that to be the color that people remember the most, but in my icon you can see that it has a blue-to-black background. If you can't think of one, just think about 3 or 4 random colors, and ya got it m8!
  5. You're done bro!!!~~

Question:

• I don't have any money to pay for branding, is this something I can do for myself?

Answer:

No worries my man(or woman). You can definitely make all of this stuff AND! make it look pro as f***! Plus, it won't cost you a penny.

You will need to learn how to be a graphic artist though.......if that sounds hard, trust me, it's not. If you think this is the moment where you need to turn back because you'd rather not have to learn how to do something that people go to college for, don't worry, it isn't that hard. I did it....and I'm dead from the toes down.........

Here are some things that you will need to make graphic art. This is more or less what I use to make my stuff.

• GIMP is a graphic editting software that works just as well as expensive software like photoshop does. It can pretty much do whatever you need it to. Just LEARN how to use it, and make that s*** work.
  • Blender is a free 3D graphic creation software that you can make some cool things using 3D models and text with. If you take the time to get some semi-pro hand-eye work like myself, you can make something for yourself that others would pay hundreds of dollars for.
  • That's all you need! Trust me taking 1 or 2 days to learn 1 or both of these programs is way better than spending 1 or 2 days pay to buy stuff that was made by someone else(with someone else's vision in mind).
Question:

• How do I know whether or not I've branded correctly. If I didn't brand correctly, how can I fix my branding?

Answer:

You'll know when you've branded correctly if you keep getting compliments on your logo/banner. Also, if people don't say anything about it, then odds are it's pretty good. If you want some super-duper airtight confirmation, try asking your viewers if they like it or not.

DON'T ask friends. Friends are usually biased and will sometimes tell you what you WANT to hear. Also, some friends may not know what makes your branding good or bad, so they might tell you something that is misinformed about what you are branding for. Viewers will most likely have other similar channels that they are subscribed to and visit often, so they will know if your channel looks like a pro-did-it, or if it looks like a hoe-did-it.....

If you branded incorrectly don't worry....it's your channel. All you've got to do is fix it. What I like to do is change my banner every so often so that I can make sure that it is a "honed work". Like putting a hot sword in water to temper it, it takes time and patience to get that dankness that you're looking for. Just keep smashing it with your Brain-Hammer and get that edge that will make people think you got it done by one of the best of the best.

If all else fails.......s**t, message me about it. I wil personally come and take a look at what you made and tell you whether or not it's s**t or it.

Trust me, branding is super important, and you don't want it to be done incorrectly. Make sure that you get all the things that you need to have and make them look pristine. Don't slack when it comes to making things on your own; even if you mess up to begin with, keep fixing it until you get it right. Also, don't be AFRAID to make mistakes. If it isn't right the first time, you'll get it right eventually.

If any of you good looking muthaf***as need any help, don't be afraid to contact me. I can help you when you can't help yourself. Remember, I'm a genius and I can get you there too.

Thank you all for coming, my name is Murkulater A.K.A. Murk the Savant, and I'll see you next time!

~Murk

Reactions: Neimers

MURKULATER

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd forgotten to add examples of what your brand should be like(quality wise). Here are a few examples from my channel art. You can make this stuff and more using GIMP and blender.

BASIC CHANNEL BANNER ART:

CHANNEL BANNER ART WITH FLARE(FOR WHEN YOU HAVE TO PUT IT SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN YOUTUBE and! FOR PEOPLE WHO WATCH YOUTUBE FROM THEIR TELEVISION):

OLD CHANNEL BANNER ART(REMEMBER WHEN I SAID YOU HAVE TO UPDATE?):

OLD LOGO + ICON:

NEW LOGO + ICON:

OLD CHANNEL ART TEXT WITHOUT A BACKGROUND(IF YOU NEED HELP WITH THIS THEN SEND ME A MESSAGE ABOUT IT)

MY CHANNEL ART WITH NO BACKGROUND:

MY ICON + LOGO WITH EXPANDED BORDERS(GREAT AS A BACKGROUND!):

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!

~Murk

Last edited:

KarriKat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hey! so I am a graphic designer. I notice the graphics are cool and everything but based on your icon and banner they don't perform their job...
Why don't they perform their job????? Well the number one reason to have a banner isn't for your name...its to show what the page is about through images and words. I have no idea what your youtube is about based on your imaged therefore I won't click.
Is that a baseball?
Is it a gaming channel?
Why is there smoke???
why is it dark and spooky
what the hell is going on here

MURKULATER

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
hey! so I am a graphic designer. I notice the graphics are cool and everything but based on your icon and banner they don't perform their job...
Why don't they perform their job????? Well the number one reason to have a banner isn't for your name...its to show what the page is about through images and words. I have no idea what your youtube is about based on your imaged therefore I won't click.
Is that a baseball?
Is it a gaming channel?
Why is there smoke???
why is it dark and spooky
what the hell is going on here

You're right! My banner doesn't show what my channel is about, but most banners rarely do. It is in fact a good idea to put what your channel is about in your banner design, but gaming channels don't typically put that in the banner.

Another thing, people won't see your banner before they click on your channel anyway, so I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that you wouldn't have clicked on my username to check out my channel at all(regardless of what my banner was).

Also, the smoke is there because you usually don't see that part unless you spot the banner outside of youtube(on imgur or deviantart or something).

I'll take your advice in mind when I make another!

Thanks,

Murk~

MURKULATER

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Here are some updates on my channel art. If you've read this far down you should get the concept of updating your art regularly. Small changes could drastically affect users' opinions of your art, so keep that in mind.