How to adjust Skype audio in OBS?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys.

I've started recording with a friend and we use Skype to talk. I'm using OBS to record the video/live stream because it picks up the Skype call. However, the Skype call itself is very quiet on the recordings.

My question is: What is the best way to balance the game audio and Skype audio? I need it so both are audible. The Skype call more so. I've already researched online about how to do this. There seems to be a few different solutions, so I'm hoping someone on here has first hand experience of this, and can offer the most efficient.

Thanks.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My solution would be to split your audio so you have three independent audio tracks when your editing(game audio, mic audio, skype audio). You can adjust the volume of each track on your editing software which will allow to customize each volume level to your liking. I'll link to the video of how it is done down below as this is how I do it so that I can adjust the audio. I use OBS Studio as it allows you to use multiple audio tracks, the audio tutorial starts at 08:09
If you need help setting it up on OBS Studio let me know it is very simple as the video does not show you how to set it up on OBS but he does show you how to set it up for skype/teamspeak. I've had a few people follow this method to give them more control over their audio. This is my solution and how most people do it using software you can also buy an actual audio mixer to give you the same result but this is free.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My solution would be to split your audio so you have three independent audio tracks when your editing(game audio, mic audio, skype audio). You can adjust the volume of each track on your editing software which will allow to customize each volume level to your liking. I'll link to the video of how it is done down below as this is how I do it so that I can adjust the audio. I use OBS Studio as it allows you to use multiple audio tracks, the audio tutorial starts at 08:09
If you need help setting it up on OBS Studio let me know it is very simple as the video does not show you how to set it up on OBS but he does show you how to set it up for skype/teamspeak. I've had a few people follow this method to give them more control over their audio. This is my solution and how most people do it using software you can also buy an actual audio mixer to give you the same result but this is free.
Hi, thanks for your input.

I've watched the video, mainly the audio tutorial part you pointed me to. In the video Jack is recording PC gameplay. Will this method have the same effect on my set-up? Which is PS4 gameplay, through Elgato to OBS.

Thanks.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi, thanks for your input.

I've watched the video, mainly the audio tutorial part you pointed me to. In the video Jack is recording PC gameplay. Will this method have the same effect on my set-up? Which is PS4 gameplay, through Elgato to OBS.

Thanks.
If what is coming from your Elagato/PS4 is only the game audio/gameplay then yh it should be the same principle. As long as you are recording the skype conversation and microphone on PC through OBS Studio then it should work since you can assign the Elagato game audio to its own track. You also have to make sure that you assign the tracks on the OBS mixer to their own ones.

Reaction score
Splitting the recording up is overly complicated. I would suggest turning down the in-game audio in the game settings, and/or turning up the Skype audio in the Skype call settings. You can also adjust your microphone volume in OBS to even it out. Just mess with it with trial and error until it sounds good. That is all I have ever done, and it works pretty well. And, you don't have to deal with 3 unsynced audio files when editing.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Splitting the recording up is overly complicated. I would suggest turning down the in-game audio in the game settings, and/or turning up the Skype audio in the Skype call settings. You can also adjust your microphone volume in OBS to even it out. Just mess with it with trial and error until it sounds good. That is all I have ever done, and it works pretty well. And, you don't have to deal with 3 unsynced audio files when editing.
The audio are not unsynced when you do it the way I showed, It takes about 10 minutes to set up and gives you a lot more control. I've helped a lot of people set it up this way and it didn't take them very long to understand it especially when there is a video to guide your hand through it which literally is just downloading two exe's and changing/assigning your audio device on skype, OBS and the audio mixer, that's not very complicated. And you can have the software start up and run in the background so you don't always have to change everything all the time. The ease of use is there it is very simple especially If your someone who cares about your content this is how good content creators manage their audio since he can change the volume to his liking now, If something ever goes wrong with his audio it makes it easy for you to change the volume as you have the tracks there for you. If you watch any setup videos they all do the same thing except they have expensive equipment for their audio whereas this is completely free.

Last edited: