How many TB should I dedicate for storing footage?

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I know, this question may sound a bit stupid, but I'm considering to add a sdd hard drive for my pc for storing gameplay footage. I compress it with handbrake to safe a lot of space but the footage can go up to 2 hours (so I can capture gameplay automaticly when I'm doing good at a game) long of gameplay and still needs to take a lot of space before the compression starts (obviously). I also want to archive all of my video's on my pc.

So, is 2 TB overkill, or is 1 TB enough?

The footage is in 1080p 60 fps.

And also, which ssd hard drives( €500 - € 600 or whatever the currency of your country is) do you recommend?

Last edited:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I have an external 8 TB Seagate harddrive, but I don't think it's enough. :eek: It depends on what you are filming. I make a lot of timelapses which use a lot of footage. I recommend getting more space than 2TB because it fills up fast with video, and moving files to a bigger drive is a pain.

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I have an external 8 TB Seagate harddrive, but I don't think it's enough. :eek: It depends on what you are filming. I make a lot of timelapses which use a lot of footage. I recommend getting more space than 2TB because it fills up fast with video, and moving files to a bigger drive is a pain.
Well, than I'm gonna have to wait a lot ;(

I guess that 3- 4TB will be enough for me. The biggest video file size that I've had was around 40 - 50 GB of uncompressed footage.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have two 3TB hardrives I use for backups and I work on a 1TB drive. I make 15 "Episodes" a season and my average footage intake is about 25-35gb to produce a 6-8gb video file. so what I do is I backup the 6-8gb episodes for archive alongside all the unedited takes of my audio and the finished mastered audio files and my premierpro edit files (But not the autosave or render files) Which collectively is about 150gb a season. I then take the 450-500gb of raw video footage and I drop it down on a timeline and trim each film down to a single video that acts as a manageable 30gb "Highlight sample reel" basically 3-4 clips at about a minute long each that I can use for reference should I need to. So depending on how much footage your going to accumulate over time I would say anywhere between 2TB for small projects and as much as 8TB...as an out of the gate i'd suggest a 3tb drive...its expensive but its an investment worth paying :)

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I have two 3TB hardrives I use for backups and I work on a 1TB drive. I make 15 "Episodes" a season and my average footage intake is about 25-35gb to produce a 6-8gb video file. so what I do is I backup the 6-8gb episodes for archive alongside all the unedited takes of my audio and the finished mastered audio files and my premierpro edit files (But not the autosave or render files) Which collectively is about 150gb a season. I then take the 450-500gb of raw video footage and I drop it down on a timeline and trim each film down to a single video that acts as a manageable 30gb "Highlight sample reel" basically 3-4 clips at about a minute long each that I can use for reference should I need to. So depending on how much footage your going to accumulate over time I would say anywhere between 2TB for small projects and as much as 8TB...as an out of the gate i'd suggest a 3tb drive...its expensive but its an investment worth paying :)

Than I'll definitely wait untill I have the money. Luckely my father has a shared Microsoft office subscription (with onedrive) which I
use to archive my video's and store my compressed footage. My rendered video's are always under 15 GB (the maximum allowed space to upload files).

I've checked the prices, the amount of watts my pc consumes and everything will be fine

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Than I'll definitely wait untill I have the money. Luckely my father has a shared Microsoft office subscription (with onedrive) which I
use to archive my video's and store my compressed footage. My rendered video's are always under 15 GB (the maximum allowed space to upload files).

I've checked the prices, the amount of watts my pc consumes and everything will be fine
Ahh nice! If you can cloud then definately cloud! especially with microsoft they're quite safe. Im a bit of a fossil and like my media physical xD its not much better than cloud storage but I get tremendous reassurance knowing I can hold my films in my hand and if they break its on me xD though I'd love to have a cloud backup as well at some point :)

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Ahh nice! If you can cloud then definately cloud! especially with microsoft they're quite safe. Im a bit of a fossil and like my media physical xD its not much better than cloud storage but I get tremendous reassurance knowing I can hold my films in my hand and if they break its on me xD though I'd love to have a cloud backup as well at some point :)

I still prefer your way. More space and no internet required :D

Reactions: TYTD