How long does it take to remove a claim?

Benie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
My latest unlisted video was slapped by a copyright claim by its own game music. So I think "fine.. whatever. Remove it." Yet it's been 'editing' my video to remove the offending song... for over an hour; even longer than it took me to create/edit/upload.

How long does it take to get this done?

RyanH

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
It can take a while, often varies on the length of your video.

DerpTheCowardlyMan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My latest unlisted video was slapped by a copyright claim by its own game music. So I think "fine.. whatever. Remove it." Yet it's been 'editing' my video to remove the offending song... for over an hour; even longer than it took me to create/edit/upload.

How long does it take to get this done?
I had 2 content id claims two days ago. I immediately disputed the claim because I was protected under fair use and today they took the claim off. As a further note if they don't respond in 30 days i do believe you will win the dispute and it will be taken off.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I had 2 content id claims two days ago. I immediately disputed the claim because I was protected under fair use and today they took the claim off. As a further note if they don't respond in 30 days i do believe you will win the dispute and it will be taken off.
Just had a look at your channel. You're doing gameplay walkthroughs aren't you? If so, those don't qualify as Fair Use. If the Content ID claim was for a video where you were doing a review, that would constitute Fair Use.

The problem is that most people on the Internet don't really know the definition of the term, and also forget that under normal circumstances, it's only applicable in an actual court case. Someone actually took a rights holder who was doing copyright strikes on YouTube to court over it, and set a precedent for Fair Use to apply in more cases on YouTube going forward. But the scope hasn't changed. Below is what YouTube Help has to say on the matter of Fair Use.

"In the United States, fair use is determined by a judge, who analyzes how each of the four factors of fair use applies to a specific case.

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
Courts typically focus on whether the use is “transformative.” That is, whether it adds new expression or meaning to the original, or whether it merely copies from the original. Commercial uses are less likely to be considered fair, though it’s possible to monetize a video and still take advantage of the fair use defense.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work
Using material from primarily factual works is more likely to be fair than using purely fictional works.

3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
Borrowing small bits of material from an original work is more likely to be considered fair use than borrowing large portions. However, even a small taking may weigh against fair use in some situations if it constitutes the “heart” of the work.

4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
Uses that harm the copyright owner’s ability to profit from his or her original work are less likely to be fair uses. Courts have sometimes made an exception under this factor in cases involving parodies."

Reactions: RyanH and RBG