How I got 1000 subs in 5 weeks, and how it might help you.

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
(No idea where to put this thread, Admin please put it wherever you think it'd fit best, thanks!)

(PS, open the image, its relevant to the thread:
http://
imgur.
com/a/m5Kwo )
Hey guys, I got a lot of support from people all around, and I also got a lot of questions so let me tell you how I got 1000 subscribers in 5 weeks. This is what I’ve been doing for the past 5 weeks and what worked for me. It wont work for everyone, and it might not work for me forever either. But I thought it might help just a bit. Picture has numbers and here I will explain every step, so lets go :)

1. You will start at ZERO. I started at ZERO. Everyone EVER started at ZERO. First subscribers are usually the hardest to get. You can start by asking your friends and family to support you, but for the sake of explaining how I personally did it I will exclude some of the general tips since I didn’t tell anyone about my channel lol. So, you start at zero, and if you start growing very slowly, its normal, so don’t worry about it.

Important tip: Do youtube for yourself, and not for the numbers. If your motivation comes from just having a hobby and having fun with making videos, you’ll never run out of it. Do it for yourself, not the numbers.

2. I knew what I wanted to do from the start, but I knew I cant do it without proper content. Put in effort for the videos you make. It takes me anywhere from 20 to 40 hours to make a 3 minute video (granted I never did animating in my life before this and I am working with old equipment and free buggy software). So what you need for a good video:

1) TITLE: Don’t make it clickbait, but don’t make it boring. See what kind of titles successful youtubers in your niche use and make sure it includes keywords and that its relevant.

2) DESCRIPTION: You have xyzq letters available. USE THEM. Explain what your video is about, mention what you are using, who you are with, your links, anything. Just USE.THAT.SPACE. Its important for the algorithm and for how people will perceive you and your video. If your description says “Hi this is a video I made yesterday, hope you enjoy it” then don’t be surprised then your video gets no traffic.

3) TAGS: Put in all the relevant tags. Search for the similar videos and see if they use tags you could use too. Don’t mislead tho, it can bite back.

4) THUMBNAIL: You don’t have to be a Photoshop pro to be able to make a decent thumbnail. Oh and btw, it is almost the most, if not the most important part of the video, cos that’s what people usually see first. You don’t have to be a graphic designer to know that 500 words in a picture, or flashy yellow sentence on a white background, or 5 pictures in a thumbnail with no correlation between each other, JUST.WONT.CUT.IT. If anything, ask some people for opinion about it before posting.

5)PROMOTE: very important part: within RULES, and within REASON. Don’t spam. Don’t request feedback but never return the favor. Don’t disrespect other people’s content. Use the internet. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Forums. There are plenty, many fr different categories/styles/niches. Do the research and promote your content and connect with others.

3. What I did is this. We all know how hard it is to grow in the beginning. Its not because your content is bad, cos you are bad, or cos your cat is bad. It’s because you don’t have exposure. If you get 10 views on a video. It doesn’t mean the rest of the population doesn’t like your videos. They DON’T KNOW IT EXISTS. This is where I decided to use comments. There are 2 ways to comment and gain subs from it.

But first, DON’Ts. Don’t SPAM. Don’t BEG. Don’t SUB4SUB (some will say it works, I say it doesn’t. sub4sub will get you people who mostly wont care about your content and it can only hurt your channel. There is nothing bad in helping each other out by subbing, but the point of getting subscribers is to form an audience, a group of people who enjoy your content enough to look forward to it and check it out once it’s out. Don’t DISRESPECT others. This will almost definitely bite you back. Respect the others and their content the way you want them to respect you and yours. Its corny, its clique, and its true.

DO’s: On the picture I put with this text, you will see I make three kind of comments.

1) Make genuine comments about their content, encouraging them and supporting them. (technically you could fake this, but I advise you not to, after all you want genuine feedback as well. All the comments I make are genuine. Thaat last comment I made was one of my favorite youtuber’s videos (Nadeshot). He just got an employee and I was genuinely glad for him. So yeah, be honest. No BS.)

2) Jokes. Everyone loves reading them. Come up with jokes, and post them, the funnier they are, and the more relevant to the content you are posting it on they are, the better response you will get.

3) SUBTLE self promotion. I sometimes do this. Do it SOMETIMES, and do it CAREFULLY. There is a thin line between funny jokes with a slight self promotion, and annoying overused comments with one and only purpose and that is to either force or clickbait others to your channel. You will recognize SUBTLE comments of mine on the image. Don’t be annoying, don’t try to force it, and be ORIGINAL. 99.99% of my comments are original and I very rarely use them on more than 1-10 videos. If you are original and make it relevant to the content, it will be easy to come up with new jokes each time.

Beware tho. People hate self promotion and bad jokes. You can easily bring mad people to your channel that will dislike your videos and troll you. So use the last one with caution. I use this only when Im sure (or when I hope) it wont bite back, and has more humor in it than the self promotion).

5. Why do you do all of this? To get free likes? NO. Free subs. NO! You do this for exposure. And at number 5 you can see it’s magic. If you do it right, people, granted you are doing it on the videos that are THE SAME NICHE AS YOURS, will check you out, and if you did the number ONE correctly and created good quality content, they will stay. Also very important: show gratitude to people who give you feedback and support you. I am making animations as a hobby and simply to let some creativity out of myself, but if someone took their time to give me positive feedback, I wanted to do the same and if nothing, thank them. Do that. It can help in a long run, A LOT. Plus its common decency, duh.

6. What happened to my channel at the point of me getting 1000 subs, All the steps were done the way I thought they should be done, which resulted in HUGE engagement. 2k is the most I would get a video, yet I had 1k subs. That means almost 50% of viewers stayed as subs. And a huge portion of those commented and liked it. To the point where people thought I was doing sub4sub and whatnot. Which I didn’t and oyu can see it based on the content of the comments and likes. I don’t know the ways of doing it with bots or other techniques, but again, Im doing this as a hobby, I am not doing it for the numbers, so there is Io need for me to abuse the system. All the engagement was legit and I was very thankful for it btw :D

7. If you did everything right, you might be lucky enough to get a lot of subs and grow an audience. If this didn’t happen, you were either unlucky, or you did the steps wrong. Or its simply the way it is. Keep in mind that every niche has its own rules and different people. What I love about animating niche is that its mostly pretty chill and cool people in it. Vlogging channels will have some troubles (my guess at least) because there are just SO MANY vloggers and it might be harder for you to stand out. Tutorials, gaming, vlogging, animating, sketches, whatever. Each niche has different rules, and adjust all the steps accordingly.

After that, just be consistent, improve all the time, grow as much as you can, and remember to do it for the sake of creating cool content, not the numbers. I hope this helps some of you guys. If you guys don’t agree with anything let me know. Would love to hear other opinions. Anyway, I’ve been writing this for 3 hours and its late and Im done now lol. Feels silly Im saying all of this since Im so new at this, and I don’t even consider myself a youtuber, wanted to do this as a hobby, didn’t even plan to grow this fast. Well, relatively fast at least. But yeah, hope this helps you guys at least a bit. Cya :)How to.png

Peace!

Last edited:

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You are my savior, thank you!!!!!!!

mr.jacks

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
thank you so much for this it just might help a lot some really good tips here.

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
No problem guys, I hope it helps you out at least a bit :)

Honza

Reaction score
Very cool. How many comments do you produce in a day? Do you have some evidence it's driving the traffic?

Cmullinax93

Colby Wan-Kenobi
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Nice thread!! Very helpful and informative :) This will definitely help me once I get my channel started. #Dueces

Turk-Lvlone

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you for giving this advice, I'll definitely try it out!

xxheathermarie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I can't click on the pictures. Very informative. I personally don't agree with self-promo at all. Unless it's phrased in a way that relates to the video.... e.g. "Vlogger complaining about how long it takes to edit and upload, and issues that might arise." Me - *Comment about how I can related and the worst issue I've ever had*
That I think is useful feedback people can relate on. I would hate being marked as spam just for commenting to get exposure. Just me though.