How honest should I be to my viewers?

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
When I'm playing games or doing a commentary and make mistakes, I always feel the urge to admit them. Luckely, you won't see me doing it a lot in my video's.

Still, I feel that I should think to myself and decide what's getting in the video.

Of course I make an exception for responding to feedback.

What do you think?

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i don't edit my gaming videos, i prefer a relaxed style without a ton of editing and jump cuts, i am totally honest and open in my videos, and i think it helps build a stronger community because of that

Reactions: Your Buddy Gas

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
When I'm playing games or doing a commentary and make mistakes, I always feel the urge to admit them. Luckely, you won't see me doing it a lot in my video's.

Still, I feel that I should think to myself and decide what's getting in the video.

Of course I make an exception for responding to feedback.

What do you think?
Well, if you don't talk about it, it might not even occur to your viewers that you made a mistake. By the way, everyone makes mistakes in commentary videos (let's plays) it's not a walkthrough that it has a tutorial purpose; it's just YOU having fun. Also, if you admit too many of your mistakes every time in your videos it might come off as if you don't have confidence, which can be a turn-off for a lot of people. Letting go of your mistakes is key. You could also always edit out your mistakes for making your videos more snappy.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Personally id say it depends on whether your mistakes are entertaining or not...if your just silently dying over and over again on a platformer or its a bit awkward I'd probably chop it out...though if your the kind of person who gets pretty lit up when that kind of thing happens I'd leave it in for the entertainment value...I'd say theres no issue with removing bits of your gameplay that your audience probably wouldnt want to see :)

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Well, if you don't talk about it, it might not even occur to your viewers that you made a mistake. By the way, everyone makes mistakes in commentary videos (let's plays) it's not a walkthrough that it has a tutorial purpose; it's just YOU having fun. Also, if you admit too many of your mistakes every time in your videos it might come off as if you don't have confidence, which can be a turn-off for a lot of people. Letting go of your mistakes is key. You could also always edit out your mistakes for making your videos more snappy.
In the beginning of my next video (which will be uploading right after I'm finished with this reply) I admit some mistakes which are completely unnecessary to talk about. In the video after I will just start playing The Gallery Ep 2. And of course If I make very big mistakes like recording the mic and game audio into 1 path or a mouse cursor appearing on the side of the screen (not in the middle) I start again or edit them out.

Personally id say it depends on whether your mistakes are entertaining or not...if your just silently dying over and over again on a platformer or its a bit awkward I'd probably chop it out...though if your the kind of person who gets pretty lit up when that kind of thing happens I'd leave it in for the entertainment value...I'd say theres no issue with removing bits of your gameplay that your audience probably wouldnt want to see :)
I completely agree:thumbsup2:

Being a noob is one of my biggest fears on YT

Last edited:
Reactions: TYTD and Malousak

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you mess up, admit it. Crack a joke about it.

Some of the best gameplays I have ever seen was when someone messed up and reacted to it.

"Oh f--- I just did that"
"I'm an idiot"

Etc, that's fine to say. Your viewers will respect you more for not editing out your mistakes and instead using them as comedic relief.

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
If you mess up, admit it. Crack a joke about it.

Some of the best gameplays I have ever seen was when someone messed up and reacted to it.

"Oh f--- I just did that"
"I'm an idiot"

Etc, that's fine to say. Your viewers will respect you more for not editing out your mistakes and instead using them as comedic relief.
I already do it once in my next video which could be online at any moment :)
It's not funny to me, but at least entertaining :thumbsup2:

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My first thought would be, as honest as possible, since people will get annoyed and unsubscribe. Later you will get a reputation of being a liar, and drama starts!
But from you wrote, it´s going to be fine, you don´t have to worry!

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
I am all for admitting mistakes in games, as long as they add some kind of value to the video. If you make a mistake in a competitive game, it can be interesting to reflect on that in your commentary. If you die in a funny way, that brings entertainment value. Some games are focused on you failing constantly (Super Meat boy jumps to mind). Sometimes it's even worth leaving a mistake in just because there is no good way to edit it out. If all of this is not the case though, I personally would just cut it out of the video. I just don't feel like gamers look at videos and think ''damn, this guy is awesome cause he is showing that he actually makes mistakes in videogames!''