How do you open your videos?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
So my opening line for most of my videos with "hey guys it's Merlina" but I felt it was getting a bit repetitive and I decided to change it up with "hey guys, welcome back to my channel" but then I realized, not everyone is "back", and that intro doesn't really include new visitors.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but to me, a good intro is the most important part of the video and I'd like to hear thoughts. Which sounds better? How do you guys open your videos?

Nicholas Thing

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So my opening line for most of my videos with "hey guys it's Merlina" but I felt it was getting a bit repetitive and I decided to change it up with "hey guys, welcome back to my channel" but then I realized, not everyone is "back", and that intro doesn't really include new visitors.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but to me, a good intro is the most important part of the video and I'd like to hear thoughts. Which sounds better? How do you guys open your videos?
What you feel most like doing is the best. It's your YouTube channel and people accept how you do your opening. And the people who aren't subscribed don't really care if you say: "Welcome back to my channel". Some of the big youtubers are doing it as well. So change it to how you would like it

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

TheVlogTheory

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
The first few seconds are the most crucial and to lock in viewers to continue watching you need a good opening. Something eye catching! Maybe something funny you said, or a highlight of the day; just something to draw them in.

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good intro is when you show something that will hook viewers and only then you say greetings so for example:
Intro -> Greetings -> actual content
If you do vlogs, then again Greetings is not the most important. You need to hook viewers by saying shortly what your videos will be about for example:
Greetings -> 1-2 short/creative/ interesting description of your video -> actual content
That what I noticed big majority of big channels will follow.
But if you do it your own way, it is even better if it as actually creative and interesting.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My channel is a gaming one so my intro might not work for something like your channel. I just decided to change my intro/greeting (channel is still in the baby stages so I felt more than comfortable doing it). Originally it was "Hello friends! This is Fluffles and welcome back (or welcome to) another (insert game title here) let's play video!" Or if it was already during a series it would be "welcome back to (insert series title here)"

Now, my intro is "what's up wolf pack and welcome (See rest of greeting above). I decided that I wanted to brand followers early to give a sense of community and inclusion :)

I feel like consistency in your intro is important, even though it seems like something is getting repetitive. There's a nice balance between knowing what to expect (intro) and not knowing what to expect (content itself). Changing your intro every now and then, depending on your audience, can be really good, or not so good. Or have no effect whatsoever.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I used to start with a title card for 5 seconds and then begin with an opening monologue for about one minute laying out my points and segue into the main point. But now I do the monologue first and move the title card to the second part.

I don't say "hey guys what's up welcome to MY channel" I'm over 40. It's unnatural to speak like that.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The first few seconds are the most crucial and to lock in viewers to continue watching you need a good opening. Something eye catching! Maybe something funny you said, or a highlight of the day; just something to draw them in.
True that. Try to get the viewers hooked as soon as posible

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
I used to start with a title card for 5 seconds and then begin with an opening monologue for about one minute laying out my points and segue into the main point. But now I do the monologue first and move the title card to the second part.

I don't say "hey guys what's up welcome to MY channel" I'm over 40. It's unnatural to speak like that.
It definitely does feel unnatural, I have to agree..

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How do you open your videos?
Generally with a single left click of my mouse.

All jokes aside, I rarely talk in my videos anymore. I used to open with a highlight of the video to hook them in followed by a hello, my name and then what my video was going to cover.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
When I open my videos I generally go for a heart felt greeting unless it's a continuation of a series I've been working then I'd say "Welcome back." But sometimes I like to mix it up and try something new. Let them follow a different kind of intro for a movie review that is not in the norm and would catch their eye since I don't really ever do it. For example me walking and grabbing a beer or groaning over seeing something on screen, etc. Just to mix it up a little bit.

But heartfelt greeting is what I do most. Whatever comes to my mind in that moment.