How do you get an audience in your first video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses Minchuk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am close to uploading my first youtube video introducing my tech channel but first I wanted to ask something. I have seen many people starting out and they barely get any views. If you guys know how to build a audience from first video's, please help! I want to jumpstart my channel.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

mercmonster

Asia's Redheaded Step-Child
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Firstly, that's really exciting for you to be launching onto YouTube :D Congratulations!

My biggest tips would be to immediately start networking - use Twitter, posting on here is already a nice start to meet people and whatnot. Twitter will be your other big friend though, and I'd recommend just connecting with other YouTubers on YouTube as well - but not going around Sub4Sub, just check out other videos, try to build some relationships, etc. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot by going around telling people to check out your channel and subscribe, so definitely don't do that.

BrotoNBA

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I'm in the process of doing the same. Be prepared to play a very slow waiting game. If you film them, they will come, however. :thumbsup2:

FartingOnThings

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Welcome and good luck. It will take a long time, unless you get really lucky, the views will accumulate very slowly. I think the first step is realizing this. You need to accept the fact that even after months of doing youtube, you will likely have few views. Some channels do grow quicker though, some of it could be luck, some of it could be quality videos. Just be mentally prepared.

I think the best bet is to target popular, highly searched topics in your videos. Make sure your title and description provide youtube with a good explanation of what your video is about. It will help with search results, and related videos.

As for actually growing your channel, there seem to be two main schools of thought here, some say you should promote your videos as much as possible, others say the opposite. The idea is that when you promote, you expose your channel to a very large audience, and it could help you gain a big following relatively quickly. The downside is that promoting in the wrong places can give you really bad audience retention (how long people watch your video), and it could also lead to your videos being involved in short view sessions, both of which are bad. Without promoting, you could have a higher audience retention, and longer view sessions, as people will come to your videos naturally. The downside of that is that it will take a long time. People had success with both methods, and there are debates here as to which method is better. But regardless of the method, both groups agree that quality of the videos is important.

For promotion, you could try things like facebook, reddit, google+, twitter, etc. Find the community that fits your niche, and try to get something there.

BwithJuju

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You should try looking on google trends for frequently searched terms and I'd definitely suggest using them as tags or in your video title if your video is about those things. Tags and titles are super important to getting views, too, along with thumbnails, because they draw the viewer in. And I also agree with mercmonster, twitter helps bunches

PinProject

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's really exciting! You really need use all means to promote your channel at this point, ask your friends and family to share the video on their social media as well.
However, my recommendation is to launch your channel once you have atleast 3 videos. Think about it, if you go out of your way right now and attract people to your channel they are only going to see one video and won't think it's worth subscribing just yet, but if you had a few this would likely make them see that you are staring to upload regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.