How do you deal with vicious Youtubers?

and_the-teddy_bach

Loving YTtalk
Ok. A video appeared in the recommended section and it almost broke my heart. The guy sounds by the end of the video almost crying, which is ridiculous. Now almost nobody can help this guy and I thought I might ask you for advice or for help on how this guy might get out of this kind of trouble, because it is so mean if a smaller channel get's censored just because they speak out against a bigger YouTuber.

What do you think? How can we as community help?

I think too many YouTube creators try to make names for themselves by using larger YouTube creators' names or controversial content as the jumping off point for their videos. Yes, it sucks mightily that these larger YouTubers can be vicious and send their hoards of fans out to harass anyone who speaks against them, but most people should, if they're making videos, know that that's the risk you take when you troll for views by making critical videos.

Now...that's not to say that this is fair or right (I happen to think if you're going to try to be in the public eye, you should take criticism with grace), but it's really obvious when people are just jumping into a fight they have no stake in because it'll get them into the conversation. You can totally make your point about what you want without dredging up individuals, and when people do say, "X (large YouTuber) Sucks" etc., I instantly think they're trying to get into a fight for the views.

I think too many YouTube creators try to make names for themselves by using larger YouTube creators' names or controversial content as the jumping off point for their videos. Yes, it sucks mightily that these larger YouTubers can be vicious and send their hoards of fans out to harass anyone who speaks against them, but most people should, if they're making videos, know that that's the risk you take when you troll for views by making critical videos.

Now...that's not to say that this is fair or right (I happen to think if you're going to try to be in the public eye, you should take criticism with grace), but it's really obvious when people are just jumping into a fight they have no stake in because it'll get them into the conversation. You can totally make your point about what you want without dredging up individuals, and when people do say, "X (large YouTuber) Sucks" etc., I instantly think they're trying to get into a fight for the views.

Agree. But sending a hoard of fans to a channel is one thing. Copyright claiming a video, even if snippets of the video fall under fair use in order to get people censored is wrong.

Dude, we have no idea what specific thing you're talking about, because you never explained it outside of "a guy nearly cried." People are clearly responding to the title in general.

I would add the video if I could, but I can't post links.

Basically. The guy made a video about a bigger YouTuber, using bits of his content to comment on it and give his opinion. Suddenly the video received a copyright claim from the bigger channel, which is ok, because YouTube's content ID system is automated. So the guy just appealed the claim, stating it is fair-use, which it is, and after that they didn't release his video and if he disputes the claim again he might get a strike, which is sad.

and after that they didn't release his video and if he disputes the claim again he might get a strike, which is sad.

Uh, if the claimant is big enough, the first denial to a counter-claim is usually automatic too. And even when not automatic, it's often done to save time (so nobody doing the claim filing has to watch the actual video in question), because most people who don't have confidence in their fair use defense pull out when a strike is on the line. I'd wager that deals with 90%+ of real copyright violators who try to fight claims on their videos, but as a result people who are within their rights also have to deal with the longer process.
In general, a lot of the time you have to dispute with that strike on the line if you want to get your video cleared.

There's nothing out of the ordinary happening here.

Basically. The guy made a video about a bigger YouTuber, using bits of his content to comment on it and give his opinion. Suddenly the video received a copyright claim from the bigger channel, which is ok, because YouTube's content ID system is automated. So the guy just appealed the claim, stating it is fair-use, which it is, and after that they didn't release his video and if he disputes the claim again he might get a strike, which is sad.

You know, so many YouTube creators think they have a handle on "fair use," and it's not quite as cut and dried as people think. It sucks that someone's video is being copyright claimed, but again, I think this is all hinged upon someone who wants to use someone else's name to get views for themselves. Re-make the video without the clips. Why couldn't that happen? Recreate the situation with puppets! There are lots of ways of being creative without actually using someone else's content, whether it's fair use or not.

Back