Hi! Starting Kids channel Need Advice :)

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi YouTube! I just created a kids channel for my 3 yr old son Derrick with his little sister Collette. A few videos uploaded so far about what he loves like playing with toys, vlogging our weekly fun adventures, etc. Any advice how to get better with vlogging?

Last edited:
Reactions: CelyD87
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi @Derrick Toys same here! i am planning to do vloggin about our family adventures on my channel but i am trying to work on my views first. Got any tips for newbies like me? Will really appreciate it. Thanks!

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi @Derrick Toys same here! i am planning to do vloggin about our family adventures on my channel but i am trying to work on my views first. Got any tips for newbies like me? Will really appreciate it. Thanks!
Hi! We just started about a month ago as a fun hobby and would like to upload more videos its a challenge balancing it all. Filming is the fun part - SEO, editing & researching everything from scratch is the time consuming part. My best tip is to let the kids personality take over and let them direct the videos. My 3 yr old son Derrick is very outgoing loves attention so this comes natural to him. Also, he's used to me filming since he was a baby because I love having memories to watch in time. I'm motivated by his love for it - everyday he asks for more videos so Im researching to provide better content. My first video isnt great quality I used a phone so I believe invest in a descent camera. Learn about editing and SEO. Let the kids guide you what they enjoy doing and get them involved - Derrick picks out the songs for each video during editing. Kids love watching kids be themselves and having fun. Would love to see your videos and sub! Good luck!! :)

Reactions: CelyD87
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi! We just started about a month ago as a fun hobby and would like to upload more videos its a challenge balancing it all. Filming is the fun part - SEO, editing & researching everything from scratch is the time consuming part. My best tip is to let the kids personality take over and let them direct the videos. My 3 yr old son Derrick is very outgoing loves attention so this comes natural to him. Also, he's used to me filming since he was a baby because I love having memories to watch in time. I'm motivated by his love for it - everyday he asks for more videos so Im researching to provide better content. My first video isnt great quality I used a phone so I believe invest in a descent camera. Learn about editing and SEO. Let the kids guide you what they enjoy doing and get them involved - Derrick picks out the songs for each video during editing. Kids love watching kids be themselves and having fun. Would love to see your videos and sub! Good luck!! :)
I appreciate this thanks! I totally agree with you my dad told me the same thing, to let my daughter take over the video, Will probably let her do that on the next videos that we are going to make. She loves taking videos too and whenever she got a new toy she'll say "Mom lets take a video while we're opening this.". She herself loves to watch kids video having fun adventures and keeps on watching it over and over again. I am just wondering how these kind of kids will reach our videos. Do you post your youtube link all over FB too? or something else to make views?

Reactions: Derrick Toys

Cody Letwinch

Reaction score
Hi YouTube! I just created a kids channel for my 3 yr old son Derrick with his little sister Collette. A few videos uploaded so far about what he loves like playing with toys, vlogging our weekly fun adventures, etc. Any advice how to get better with vlogging?
Goodluck with your channel! Your Thumbnails will definitely catch the kids attention, my daughter is always rumaging YouTube and it looks like what she would be attracted to click (shes 3).

As for the Vlogging, I'm definitely no pro, but people that enjoy watching vlogs do it usually because they feel connected to you, or the people in the video. My advice would be, just make sure to be yourself. Don't stress too much about how to say things, or make it sound like its a script. People like to feel the connection and if they can't get a vibe of who you are, it's hard for them to do.

Just remember too, if its a kids channel, make sure the vlogs are interesting enough to keep that demographic interested. I know my daughter will usually skip to another channel if she comes across something less exciting

I hope that gives any amount of help, good luck!

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm learning SEO which is the most advanced part of YouTube. Keywords / tags / long description / regular uploads / good thumbnail and good content are the main ingredients. I have a couple hundred views not much so I'm still learning it all too :)

Reactions: HaleysKidsToys
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm learning SEO which is the most advanced part of YouTube. Keywords / tags / long description / regular uploads / good thumbnail and good content are the main ingredients. I have a couple hundred views not much so I'm still learning it all too :)

@Derrick Toys thanks! There is so much i need to know. Hope you we can keep in touch and share more tips in the future. Goodluck to both of us! I have checked your channel and you have awesome videos! Hope you can check mine too! My link here does not work im not sure why but thanks again for the tips!

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I dont know about vlogs. But you guys also seem like toy channels. If you decide to make a lot of kids toy videos, I'd like to recommend you start by wisely choosing a niche and focusing your content around it. (Some niche have more return than others). Youtube will eventually begin to acknowledge your channel if you have enough content on a certain niche. If you branch out to too many things, it could take a lot longer to build credibility on any particular niche.

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for your advice on finding a niche I completely agree. What is your opinion on the niche of my channel? I think our niche is of my 2 & 3 year old lives having fun being kids. They love toys and we have weekly family outings so that's the direction Im going. How do I find a niche when my kids love EVERYTHING! :) Our current videos are my kids playing with their outdoor toys and visiting kids places like we normally do every week. I work with kids as a career so I'll put my creative hat on and focus on a niche for each video.

I will be honest upkeeping our channel is being tested with the hours of hard work, SEO research, and doing everything organically (not paying for adwords/views) I'm doing everything by the book and barely hit views/subs. I do work full-time but I enjoy this sooo much more. Who wouldn't want to make a living playing with their kids during their happiest moments! Maybe I'm just hitting the new channel bumps? Not sure where to improve would love feedback. Consistent uploading is what I will work on. How did you find your niche?

Ryan ToysReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont know about vlogs. But you guys also seem like toy channels. If you decide to make a lot of kids toy videos, I'd like to recommend you start by wisely choosing a niche and focusing your content around it. (Some niche have more return than others). Youtube will eventually begin to acknowledge your channel if you have enough content on a certain niche. If you branch out to too many things, it could take a lot longer to build credibility on any particular niche.
I totally agree with this! We didn't add in vlog style videos until recently and even then we weren't sure how they would perform. Also "Family Toy Review,just want to say my son enjoy watching your videos, especially your Thomas & Friends videos!