Have you tried YouTube #Shorts ?

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What's your opinion / experience on that? (Any good tips on how to use it?)

I tried it, read enough to create one and confirm that it was indeed a #Shorts But I got 7 views in total :) (To compare with instagram Reels or TikTok where the same video got over 400-600 views)

Is it worth it? I find it a bit annoying that it shows up in my list of videos on my channel.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
my short got nearly 90 views which is more than normal for me nowadays. I wonder how many it would get on tiktok (which ive never used)
most of my viewers on my normal videos are from my subscribers, most of my views from my short were from new viewers.
It got the same level of comments and likes as most of my videos even though it got more views and while the retention was great for the first few days, it drop to about 30% after 3ish days, which is bad when you remember the video was only 54 seconds long in total. lol
I felt like i was talking really really fast. I was sluring my words but @OntheWrist told me I was clear but just a tad too fast. His advice to me was to take the extra 6 seconds to slow down a bit.
I think it's great depending on what kind of content you make, but
the views don't count toward monetization and also they aren't monetized (yet) if they are viewed in the short player instead of the normal youtube player, which now only works on computers in regard to shorts.
i personally count shorts as less worth it then normal views since so many of those views will just be people passing by for 15 seconds, which is 25% of the video right there.

also i don't yet care about monetization - if i thought i could pull it off i would create shorts 1x or 2x a week. YouTube recommends to upload a short biweekly.... (which not sure if they mean once every 2 weeks or twice a week...)

Reactions: Gediphoto

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
it's not just a vertical video though, it has to be under 60 seconds.
and the benifit of it being a short is that it gets moved into the short shelf instead of the normal youtube player.
it seems videos are easier to go viral in the short shelf then they do in normal youtube.
I found a science teacher vertical video that now has over 1mil view after shorts started but before the channel barely had 10k

i think the excitment behind shorts is it feels like the wild west to alot of the people who havent used tiktok and to those who already used tiktok it feels like something familiar from another platform that is now supported on youtube.

-slightly more typos than normal because I'm to tired to proof read.

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Exactly as @Nicekid76 says. I tried one of my TikToks/Reels on Shorts and for me, the exposure sucks. I have 1100 views on Instagram, 400 views on TikTok and 7 (!) views on Youtube Shorts :D

The way to get a Shorts right now (as far as I know) is to have the menu option in the app (but I think it's only released in beta in India, or circumvent that by doing:

1) A vertical video
2) At most 60s long
3) Use the hashtag #Shorts in the title

In order to confirm that it indeed became a #Shorts is to add the "Shorts" playlist in your channel from YouTube studio. If your video appears there, then it's all good.

Downside is that your subscribers and your profile page gets "polluted" by the Shorts video. I find it kind of annoying - it dont want it to appear in my video "feed". Perhaps I should delete it.. hmm..

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've just started posting shorts and so far not much luck in views, but am aiming to do a short a day for at least a couple weeks to see if any actually get picked up. I've seen a lot of people rave about them, so I thought I'd give it a shot! I'll try and remember to come back to this forum and let you know if any shorts actually get some views. For reference, I am a VERY small channel just starting out and average 20-30 views per video typically right now. So a lot of room for growth there haha

Reactions: Nicekid76

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
Yeah like Gedi mentioned I feel like shorts will just "clog up" my page and detract from the videos I put a lot of work into. Of course, most of my videos are only getting 50-100 views anyway so it's not like I'm annoying my massive subscriber base but it's annoying to me and I'm the one who looks at the page the most. :tongue:

the real potat

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Channel Type
Commentator
It honestly just depends. My 1 short that I did got some attention, and still is getting 1-2 views per day. So I'd say it's worth it, but it could've just been the topic I made it on (discord). ATM it has 97 views.

cy's escapes

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have 1100 views on Instagram, 400 views on TikTok and 7 (!) views on Youtube Shorts :D
I do know it takes 2 - 3 days for shorts to get put on the "Shorts" shelf by YT, you should be able to tell in analytics and it says "Shorts" for where your views are coming from. Generally shorts are placed in this area for a short (no pun intended) time and some people see huge boosts in views and then it usually dies off after a day or two.

Reactions: Nicekid76