Have an iDevice? Need a good, free mic? READ THIS!

Is this tutorial explained well?

• No, I am not able to understand one or more of the steps.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheRoboDC

Gamer | Commentator | Check me out!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey YTTalk,

I recently discovered a very handy tool. You can use your iDevice as a high quality mic if you don't have a good one or can't afford a good one. Please note that it isn't going to be the best quality, and you will have to edit the audio in Audacity for optimum results. Now, let's move on to the tutorial.

--I will add screenshots shortly.--

Step 1. Go on the App Store and search for an app named "iTalk".
Step 2. Download/Install it, and open it up.
Step 3. You will be greeted by a recording screen. When you are ready, record what you need to and name it.
Step 4. Click "Done."
Step 5. You can play it back to yourself. You will see right off the bat that it is pretty high quality.
Step 6. Now, we need to import the file to our computer. Connect your iDevice to your computer & open up iTunes.
Step 7. Click on your device in the iTunes navigation bar, and click "Apps".
Step 8. Scroll all the way down until you see a section called "File Sharing".
Step 9. On the list of apps able to share files, click iTalk.
Step 10. Click your recorded file in the right interface, and save it via the "Save to...." button.
Step 11. Edit the file in Audacity if you wish.
Step 12. You're done! Congratulations on achieving a high quality mic without paying a dime!

Again, this is not the optimum quality in the universe. This is an easy solution to a pretty good mic...for FREE! (Well, you probably had to pay for your iDevice, but...).

I will soon post a tutorial on how to edit this audio in Audacity.

If you guys have any feedback/constructive criticism, feel free to post it here. :) All questions should also go below. Again, I will add screenshots soon and spice up the tutorial.

~TheRoboDC

Reactions: OzTalksHw

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
..Can't you just use voice notes? :p

AnExperiencedGuy

Super Poster
Reaction score
Oops! And I'm unaware of what kind of quality it records to, but it should do the trick.
It should be noted that, if you want good quality microphone sound... save up and buy yourself a Blue Yeti or whatever they have these days that's good.

It's like using Windows Movie Maker, and expecting 'high quality videos' WMM isn't going to cut it. Neither will a phone mic.

But if times a tough, then by all means use whatever you got.

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It should be noted that, if you want good quality microphone sound... save up and buy yourself a Blue Yeti or whatever they have these days that's good.

It's like using Windows Movie Maker, and expecting 'high quality videos' WMM isn't going to cut it. Neither will a phone mic.

But if times a tough, then by all means use whatever you got.
Or a AT2020 or Rode Podcaster, even an XLR mic..so much choice :p!
To be fair, it's more the content than the tools, Windows Movie Maker will cut it for quite a bit, hell you could edit a movie on it, not saying it will be pleasant..but still. If you've got great content but edit with windows movie maker you've got more of a chance than someone with terrible content and good editing :p

AnExperiencedGuy

Super Poster
Reaction score
Or a AT2020 or Rode Podcaster, even an XLR mic..so much choice :p!
To be fair, it's more the content than the tools, Windows Movie Maker will cut it for quite a bit, hell you could edit a movie on it, not saying it will be pleasant..but still. If you've got great content but edit with windows movie maker you've got more of a chance than someone with terrible content and good editing :p
True Styxie, true.

BrenyBeast

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've heard a lot of people say that the mic on iPhones is quite good, it'd be awesome if their was a easier way to get the audio file to your PC.

Reactions: TheRoboDC

TheRoboDC

Gamer | Commentator | Check me out!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Guys...I never said it's as good as the professional mics. >.> Also, iTalk is much better than Voice Memos. It is pretty much Voice Memos on steroids; there are quality options, a vast variety of exporting options, syncing options, etc. Plus, it's free. @Styxie @AnExperiencedGuy

Last edited:

Lawlz

I has it :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There are similar apps for Android aswell. Just recording your voice and in th end you will get a pretty high quality and clear voice in a wav. or mp3 format. Tho i think you can use these aps more for like a meeting or anything else. I mean, eventually you WILL invest real money in your channel ;) But these apps are sure handy and can be very usefull if you like dont have a mic and need to have a temporary one :p

Reactions: TheRoboDC