Hard drive storage for videos

BuildALot Acres

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I film, edit and upload my videos from an iphone 12 pro max. I have 68 videos out, most ranging from 10-20 minutes. I am wondering what others use to store old videos and footage. I do not have a mac or other pc that I use. Im looking at getting a device that I can plug into the phone, transfer the videos, and then delete them off the phone.

Besides a MacBook or pc, what have others used/use?

Thanks,

Reactions: JayZippo

Gediphoto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Being a photographer (and now beginning videography) I have Terabytes of data stored on external drives because I really don't care if they crash and I loose some data. (And thanks to GDPR I now have a reason to delete photos older than 5 years :) )

So, here's my view on things:

Is your data important?
YES: Cloud storage solution (Jottacloud, Dropbox etc)
NO: External harddrives (note that there's a small risk of the disk crashing and you'll loose everything)

Is your data important AND you have so much data a cloud storage solution would be too expensive:
Get yourself a NAS.

Cheeeriooooo

cy's escapes

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use a 15 tb raid for all my raw footage (video, photo, etc) I go through all of my content probably twice a year, deleting anything that I don't need anymore. From here I store my final exports locally and best photographs on Adobe's cloud. If I'm super paranoid about a certain project or file, I have a bunch of external hard drives as 3rd and 4th fail safes. As for plugging into the phone, I'm sure there are things that exist. It'll probably take a bit of experimenting to figure out your workflow.

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I picked up a 8TB Drive years ago. Every few month I archive all my project files by year. (each project folder has "yyyy-mm-dd_" at the start anyway so everything is sorted. I have videos go back all the way to 2012.

I keep them so if I become famous I can sell them as NFT's and retire happy jk jk, but maybe. lol

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have two 4 Tb external hard drives. I keep everything backed up on those. I have six ext. drives, for various things, only two are for YT/blog. I keep 2 full sets of backups. Redundancy is your friend.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Recently I have been debating about this thing exactly.

This is what I have right now.

- 2TB SSD in my rig.
- 4TB 7200 also in my rig.
- 1TB SSD in my old rig with old games and saves and a vids on it.
- 2TB 5400 in my old rig with who knows what on there anymore.
- 4TB external drive with all my created videos and important footage.
- 2TB external drive that backs up my most recent work
- 2TB drive for all my photos I have taken as well as video (more business related or personal)
- 2TB drive that I back up all my other important things, like contracts, files, more photos, D&D files, old client work, etc.
- 1TB drive for, well.. let's not talk about that one OK?

Yeah its pretty ridiculous.

SO my story real quick.

I decided to buy a 5TB drive to consolidate a few of my other drives. Puts vids, photos and projects on there that I don't use very often and just store it in a safe place. I can then put my old Computer to rest, tear it apart and sell my components. (I never sell anything that has a used hard drive in it).

Bought it for about 120.00 - it was Western Digital.

Hooked it up, and transferred all my special effects to the thing. Now in my previous experience, I do not delete anything right away until i am sure everything is ok. I have lost a lot of things by being over anxious to delete. I walked away while it was doing that. I was in my room when i could here this click click snap click click snap... I walk out and the 5TB is making odd noises.

The transfer was done and I imagine it was trying to go to sleep maybe? I safely unplugged it. Plugged it back in and I swear that thing wanted to take a fly by of the local airport. Sounded like a biplane. After some time working with it, the drive failed. It wouldn't recognize, made loud noises, etc.

Not going to get into the "help" that was offered by Amazon and the warranty dept. They wanted me to give them my number so WD can call me about the warranty and... I said. Ummm no. I am going to just take it to my local Kohls and drop it off. Get my money back. Which I did.

Moral of this long story, be careful with large capacity external drives. This is the second one that has failed on me. The 4TB I have has been a solid, but I use it maybe twice a year to put on old files I rarely use.

Cloud storage is the safest by far. I still have my backwards thought process about how long it will take to upload. Then I realize, hey I got 250mbps upload, shouldnt take too long really. I am so used to 20-30.

Anyways, way too long. It's early and I am just waking up so sorry for the long winded post.

Reactions: Nicekid76

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a 1TB SSD main drive that i work from on my linux box, with a 20TB spinning rust for data i really don't care about - VM images ect.

Like Jay and Gedi, I also have lots of old drives i don't use, a 4TB NAS from 10 years ago that i can't rely on and hense dont use, a 1TB USB enclosure, a 1TB in my backpack, a 256GB SSD and a 512GB from some laptops, and then a stack of 4 128GB SSDs, 32 80GB sata disks from my blade servers, and then a stack of 2TB spinning rusts for a NAS config project i've not finished..... i'm sure there's more under piles of paperwork

Do you really need to store them?
How about those little NAS's that have apps for phones so you can offload your content as you describe?

If you do decide you need to keep them, keep in mind that running a NAS does have a cost of running, and it actually might be cheaper to use a cloud service.

Reactions: JayZippo