Getting rid of YT's automatic subtitles?

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So YT automatically creates an automatically-transcribed subtitle track which is based off it's voice-recognition program that tries to guess what you're saying. These verge from being odd and slightly off to completely incorrect and hilarious.

Well, if I upload a video scheduled in advance and wait long enough (the time seems to vary quite a bit), these subtitles can often pop up before the video is published. So this gives me the ability to unpublish YT's dumb version, and when I upload my own subtitles they overwrite the one YT automatically provided.

However, if I add my own subtitles before the automatic ones appear, I am stuck with the automatic ones. I can unpublish them if I want, but I can't for the life of me find a way to completely delete them.

Can somebody let me know if I glanced over an option hidden somewhere to get rid of these "draft" subtitles? I'm littered with quite a few of them now and while they're quite innocuous, they're still rather annoying.

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
If I'm not mistaken, since you already unpublish it, there should be a new thing there called "discard edits". Just click on the thing that says discard edits and that should work.[DOUBLEPOST=1458034555,1458034310][/DOUBLEPOST]Now, how to disable automatic subtitles from ever automatically appearing is what I'd like to know. It's a pain to delete it everytime I upload a video...

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Wow thanks. So damn obvious in hindsight. Discarding edits says it will revert it to the last published draft, so I just assumed it's a way to cancel any edits you've made. That's a ridiculously deceptive way to title something as "delete"...

And yes, cancelling those from ever showing up to begin with would be great. I don't think it's hard for YT to implement a feature where if the uploader put up subs already, there's no need to generate crappy default ones.

Reactions: xingcat

NathanielGE

I've Got It
Reaction score
The problem I have is that once I deleted the automatic subtitles, leaving only my subtitles that I added myself, the [CC] icon next to my video disappeared. Any idea why this happened? Will it just come back with time?

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The problem I have is that once I deleted the automatic subtitles, leaving only my subtitles that I added myself, the [CC] icon next to my video disappeared. Any idea why this happened? Will it just come back with time?
This happened to me once. The CC still showed up in search (when you search only for vids with CCs). Also, if you just rename your subtitles (even to the exact same thing), the CC icon will show back up in your video manager.

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I had that happen to me, I just published it again and its back.

Click on your subtitles, click on edit and publish. The CC icon should be back.

NathanielGE

I've Got It
Reaction score
This happened to me once. The CC still showed up in search (when you search only for vids with CCs). Also, if you just rename your subtitles (even to the exact same thing), the CC icon will show back up in your video manager.

omg you guys are the best. For anyone else that had my problem, clicking edit and republishing brings back the CC icon. I was going crazy trying to figure it out haha.

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

if you just rename your subtitles (even to the exact same thing), the CC icon will show back up in your video manager.
For anyone else that had my problem, clicking edit and republishing brings back the CC icon.
Ahh I had that problem too and have just been leaving the automatic ones in the list. Good to know!