Freddie Wong shares his disappointments

Miketastic

The Journeystickman
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
Does anyone remember Freddie Wong? The Asian guy that makes action videos with a lot of After Effects. He was in the recent Corridor Podcast with his old buddies Sam and Niko, discussing their frustrations with the film industry for having a Youtube background.

Small clip of the conversation
/watch?v=gBFnAM_moRg

Entire Podcast
/watch?v=urt_i2PylaU

Listening this got me bummed out. Freddie's a pioneer of Youtube's film making, he's been doing this for over a decade now and no respect from Hollywood or "A list" directors. What do you guys think?

Reactions: CallmeMoses

CallmeMoses

Reaction score
Breaking into Hollywood is really hard. From the ways people within Hollywood paint it, it's really more of a "who knows who" kind of deal. Talent is a factor, but an even bigger factor is knowing the director, or the producers of the film; which is easily accomplishing if you've worked on their films in the past or know a common friend in Hollywood. Obviously in a perfect world the only criteria should be your skill level, but it seems like you have to edge your way into the scene. Unfortunately YouTube is still looked at as amateur hour, regardless of the circumstances that surround it.

Reactions: Miketastic

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have no idea on Hollywood or the industry,
but I know two phrases:
"What brought you here, won't get you there"
reffering to Youtube subs and views vs a producer or dop carreer
Plus:
"You are as good as your last project"
If my last success is a Youtube viral how this translate outside Youtube?

Oh... And AE is cool, but, it is not e.g. Nuke.

:)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah, there are still a lot of negative stigmas attached to YouTube. It's not like it was 10 years ago, but it still has a ways to go... :( I've even noticed some negative stigma attached to posting most of my music on YouTube, and I'm not big or anything lol. Things tend to lag behind new technology by about 15 years, so Hollyweird is probably just now starting to realize some potential with YouTube.... :/