Focused vs Diverse content

PansGaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So when I first started making YouTube videos I was mainly a vlogger, and that was most of the content on my channel. Then I found out someone in my year at school also made videos and was a gaming channel, so I did a collab with him and posted gaming videos on my vlogging channel. Well I found that I really enjoyed making gaming videos but didn't want to dilute my channel and make it less focused so I made a second channel for my gaming content.

This was back in 2011/12 and now I'm coming back to making videos again and my viewpoint has slightly shifted into thinking that focusing on one channel with more diverse content would be better than trying to run 2 channels with more focused content on each one.

What do you guys think? If you were going to be making a mix of vlogging/reaction/review videos as well as gaming videos would you split the 2 into different channels or do you think it would be better to put all content on one channel?

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
it sounds like a good idea to split into focus channels, but being a 1man team might be overwhelming, I decided to do 1 channel & while many videos are of different topics they still share a common goal "videography"

Reactions: PansGaming

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
My channel is a diverse channel and I am now gaining over 400 subs a month right now.
I have Food, Dogs, Reviews, How to and more.. I TRIED to separate into different channels and it do NOT work.
Best of luck to you!

Reactions: PansGaming

PansGaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah, keeping them in one channel was the route I was favouring I was just interested in what other people were thinking. I know it used to be the fashion to have multiple channels for all the different things you did but that's definitely changed recently.

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know people say you need a NICHE, but when I separated my diverse channel into different channels: Fish/Aquarium Channel, DIY Channel, Review Channel and retro gaming channel they ALL failed to gain any traction, each with about 50-200 subs after 6 months, while my combined channel continues to grow each month. I gained +476 subs in the last 28 days.
This is basically the opposite of what Tim Schmoyer says to do, but it's working for me. And different Niche channels did NOT work.

GiggaVega

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hey guys. I think a little mix of a few things is a good idea. I originally started my channel to be a gaming channel with lots of live streams. It was alright but I am more than just video games & I did not want my channel to be strictly about games & live streaming. I have been Tubing for a little over a year now. 2020 is the year of growth. I cleared my credit card debt & have some money put aside & with that, my hope is to review products I order online such as Food, tech along with my regular reviews of media. I rate things honestly without pandering but also critical without being a "WTF is this garbage?!!!" you know, be advertiser friendly.
Long story short, if you stick to only ONE thing, it is difficult after a while to come up with new & fresh ideas, like workout channels, there are only so many chest exercises. I think 3 different focuses is fine.

Chazilicious

Reaction score
I have an old channel that was never as active as I would’ve liked (only 7 subscribers). It has a “company” name attached to it as it was a showcase for short films and editing projects that I had done and the company name I wanted to use. Now, I want to make very different stuff with a “show” name. Should I start from scratch with a new channel name or just make the new stuff a playlist on my old channel? I can see everyone here is recommending to keep everything on one channel, but it just seems weird to have more fun stuff that under that old corporate name.

PansGaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have an old channel that was never as active as I would’ve liked (only 7 subscribers). It has a “company” name attached to it as it was a showcase for short films and editing projects that I had done and the company name I wanted to use. Now, I want to make very different stuff with a “show” name. Should I start from scratch with a new channel name or just make the new stuff a playlist on my old channel? I can see everyone here is recommending to keep everything on one channel, but it just seems weird to have more fun stuff that under that old corporate name.
I think in your case it might be better to start a new channel. Keep your company/corporate stuff and your new stuff separate. You can always closely link the channels and promote them from each other if you want to share some of your old stuff on the new channel and vice-versa.

In my case I'm going to be sticking to one channel cause it's all just fun stuff that I enjoy and have fun with and it's just gonna have different videos for different niches.

Good luck with it man :D

Reactions: Chazilicious

OpiumSymposium

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm absolutely all for diversity. I remember hearing that diversity of content is going to kill your channel before I started doing YouTube and while YT Algorithm might dislike it at first glance, I prefer doing variety of content and I'm going to branch out in the future. Most people have more than one, singular interest and I think that your channel should reflect it. I'm not made for doing the same thing over and over again.