Feeling Embarass or Akward when Recording Videos around Others?

Midny

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, Let me ask you guys a question. (I hope I'm posting this in the right section).

I don't know how many you guys live with someone (family, friends, etc.) in your house but when you start making/recording videos that involves talking out loud, do you ever feel embarassed that the person you live with can hear you?

This can feel really awkard especially to someone who just started making youtube videos that require talking. Which can make the person they live with wonder "who the hell are they talking to?".

I would love to hear your thoughts on this and what you have done to overcome it or are doing to overcome it.

Shoxir

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm currently living with family and they already know I make youtube videos, but even now I try to record when nobody is home. Not because I get embarrassed, but because they make a lot of background noise XD I guess if they understand what it is that you do and they're fully accepting of it, it becomes a lot easier to talk to yourself for hours on end :p

Reactions: Midny

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hey guys, Let me ask you guys a question. (I hope I'm posting this in the right section).

I don't know how many you guys live with someone (family, friends, etc.) in your house but when you start making/recording videos that involves talking out loud, do you ever feel embarassed that the person you live with can hear you?

This can feel really awkard especially to someone who just started making youtube videos that require talking. Which can make the person they live with wonder "who the hell are they talking to?".

I would love to hear your thoughts on this and what you have done to overcome it or are doing to overcome it.
I record videos in public pretty often and also my girlfriend sees me record some stuff. I felt a bit awkward when I blocked off a room to do a time lapse for 16 hours of milk mixed with Coke, but I was like "f**k it!"

wtefe

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I can't record with people in the same room as me. They are distracting. At first I was embarrassed but now it's more to keep me on task. As for others hearing me throughout the house I don't worry about that anymore. It's takes time but you'll handle it.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the technique forum (The support forum is for questions about using the forum) :)

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
I totally get it! I still feel weird vlogging in front of friends because I feel like a lot of them get uncomfortable with the camera, but you gotta just be yourself as fully as you can. :)

Midny

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm currently living with family and they already know I make youtube videos, but even now I try to record when nobody is home. Not because I get embarrassed, but because they make a lot of background noise XD I guess if they understand what it is that you do and they're fully accepting of it, it becomes a lot easier to talk to yourself for hours on end :p
lol, yeah I try to make videos when my family is not home too. I have already told one of my family members that I'm recording youtube videos, so they know. I think it's mostly me though. I just feel a little strange living with someone I know, then them hearing me from another room randomly start yelling at my microphone.

But you know what the really interesting thing is. When I'm recording while my family isn't home, I know I'm loud enough that the neighbors can hear me (which is fine because they are loud too). And even me knowing this, doesn't effect me at all. That's the weird thing. I think it's because I actually know my family and they know me, and we watch youtube videos with each other almost every night. So when they hear me in my room making a video, they know what I'm doing, and that for some reason makes me feel a little embarassed.

I record videos in public pretty often and also my girlfriend sees me record some stuff. I felt a bit awkward when I blocked off a room to do a time lapse for 16 hours of milk mixed with Coke, but I was like "f**k it!"
Yeah, I haven't started making commentaries while they are home yet, but when I do, I do think there's going to be a point where I'm going to be like "f*** it".

I can't record with people in the same room as me. They are distracting. At first I was embarrassed but now it's more to keep me on task. As for others hearing me throughout the house I don't worry about that anymore. It's takes time but you'll handle it.
Yeah, I do think it's a time thing, I just have to get over the initial thought of me feeling a little strange about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shoxir

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I did at first, but I got past it rather quickly. My partner didn't used to be involved with any of my videos, and then he heard and watched me film a few, and then he added his talents (mostly as a puppeteer) into the mix. So you never know what will happen when you get past the awkwardness and just do your thing. :)

MrDooney

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My friends used to get really quiet when we would start recording... And I record gaming videos hah. But I think filming wise, in the back of someone's head they're afraid to make a mistake cause they'll look dumb. But normally isn't that case. But tell them it's just a test so they think it's ok to make a mistake it gets people going if it's their first video being in :)

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Live with my whole family and I do yell w/e the hell I want :D