Equipment/software for a 9 year old??

Sbrininger

Reaction score
My daughter turns 9 in July and what she wants "more than anything in the world" is to create videos and have her own YouTube channel. Currently she only has an iPad 2 and is using that to create videos with her friends. As you can imagine, the audio and video are pretty bad, so we are looking for suggestions on equipment to get her for her birthday. We have several family members who also want me to let them know what to get her, so I was thinking they could go in together to get her a few things, too.

First, I am not trying to make her the next EvanTube or anything, so I am not looking for top of the line stuff and am fine with used equipment. Plus she is only 9 so buying her a $500 camera is not something we care to do. I just want to get her some budget-friendly things to help her get started, that are straightforward to use and can enhance her creativity. I'm not sure if we should get her a more recent iPad/iPad Mini to use for both filming and editing videos? Her iPad was used when we bought it and it is not working well anymore so she could use a newer, most likely used one for games as well. She is asking for a GoPro - is the video quality of a less expensive GoPro decent for non-action videos as well as "action scenes", or should she use something else when she is in her room talking to the camera? I know she will need some sort of tripod or stand for whatever she uses to record video. How important is a microphone at this beginning phase? Is iMovie on an iPad sufficient for editing or should I help her edit on my MacBook?

I appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes you can edit on an iPad it's pretty easy, I use my MacBook to edit my videos and I film on a pretty expensive camera. Since she's only nine I would suggest the iPad Pro it has good video and audio quality. Maybe when she gets a little older then you could invest for a good camera.[DOUBLEPOST=1498421316,1498421004][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes you can edit on an iPad, it's pretty I've never filmed or editing on an I pad but i have it

Last edited:

InteferanceYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I have a gopro, just getting that would help a lot, audio and video quality would definitely improve, and if you get a GoPro you're gonna have to edit on the computer.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry for the double post I accidentally pushed post While I was trying to type the rest of the message.

Julia and Claire

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
We use the sony cypershot to film on which works great for us. Another alternative would be to get her an iPhone 6-7 which is pretty good quality. You also may want to consider getting a tripod, since we use that for all our videos. You don't need get one that's too expensive, they have some pretty good cheap ones. I'm not positive, but I think that GoPros give the effect of a curved video, which is best for action videos.I edit on my macbook pro using adobe premiere pro, but for a while iMovie worked great and is very easy to learn when starting out. Using iMovie on an iPad which we've done, doesn't have all the effects and features on the macbook, and you can't do as much.

Hope we helped,
Julia and Claire