Editing takes forever

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I always pre recorded a lot of my videos when I can, but sometimes I’m still late on uploading because of how long it takes to edit. Most of the time I will start editing my videos a week or two ahead of time, but sometimes I still struggle getting it ready for the exact day I need to upload it because of how long it takes me to edit my videos. A lot of times it’s due to technical difficulty’s because technology isn’t always reliable.
Do you guys ever have the problem with being late to upload a video due to how long it takes you to edit a certain video?

Reactions: videoeditgr

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
Most of my perler beads videos take forever to edit since I do a lot of cuts! But where are you editing? I usually take a day to edit one of my bead videos o.o (a day as in the time it takes to do it lol but i edit it in like 3- 5 days

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yep.
I was supposed to have a video up in February, but didn't finish the editing.
Rather than delaying it and finishing it, I cut it in half and uploaded "part 1"
I hated it, deleted the video, and have yet to finish it.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I always pre recorded a lot of my videos when I can, but sometimes I’m still late on uploading because of how long it takes to edit. Most of the time I will start editing my videos a week or two ahead of time, but sometimes I still struggle getting it ready for the exact day I need to upload it because of how long it takes me to edit my videos. A lot of times it’s due to technical difficulty’s because technology isn’t always reliable.
Do you guys ever have the problem with being late to upload a video due to how long it takes you to edit a certain video?
You'll probably get faster over time and you'll pick up shortcuts here and there. How long you spend editing depends on what you are editing, but yeah it takes a long time.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most of my perler beads videos take forever to edit since I do a lot of cuts! But where are you editing? I usually take a day to edit one of my bead videos o.o (a day as in the time it takes to do it lol but i edit it in like 3- 5 days
I usually don’t do cut editing on my skits because I take Double takes when I mess up so I usually go through my entire lines without messing up because it’s scripted and I don’t like the jump cut look when I’m doing a comedy skit. But I will jump edit my hauls because there’s no need to show me getting my clothes out of the bags and grabbing them one by one. I also jump or speed up tutorials. But really takes long for me to edit are special effects in a comedy skit.[DOUBLEPOST=1521508598,1521508497][/DOUBLEPOST]
You'll probably get faster over time and you'll pick up shortcuts here and there. How long you spend editing depends on what you are editing, but yeah it takes a long time.
Yeah some videos I can have done in one day some videos I even filmed edit and uploaded all in one day. But some take me forever due to special effects because I make a lot of comedy skits.[DOUBLEPOST=1521508629][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yep.
I was supposed to have a video up in February, but didn't finish the editing.
Rather than delaying it and finishing it, I cut it in half and uploaded "part 1"
I hated it, deleted the video, and have yet to finish it.
I’ve done that before.

Annie's Vegan Journey

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yep, I hear you! Editing sure takes forever, I take up to full 2 days to edit one of my recipe videos! I find it really fun and creative though but it does take up a lot of my free time when I'm not at my proper work. :D And yep technology is difficult for me, sometimes things fail on me and it will take me 5 hours to realise what the problem is before I attempt to fix the problem

Reactions: Courtney Candice

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Our ‘basic’ videos usually only take 5-8 hours of editing. Our “reality TV” episodes take between 7 days and 15 days (8-12 hrs per day!)..
Because we never know how long a video will take to complete, we never try sticking to any kind of schedule and never publicize a ‘release date’ until after the video is done (we learned that one the hard way)..

Never had any ‘technical difficulties’.. all the time we spend is pure editing joy..

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Like you said, it depends on the kind of video you're making. I currently have 27 videos done and ready to upload and I upload 4 videos a week. I've gotten very good at editing and can whip through a video in an hour or two.

Reactions: Stike96

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Yup. I've worked as a freelance editor and I have YT friends who are full time pro editors, and while you will get faster, it will probably always be the most time-consuming part of making a typical YT video.

For me, the biggest 'hack' is to have a really solid template down, or even editing 3-4 videos in a series on the same timeline. That way it's easy to copy and paste all the music, custom graphics, transitions, text elements, intros, etc. and it removes all the decision making when you have a very linear style you're working from. Only downside is it takes a lot of the creativity out of it after awhile.

FireShock

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Oh yeah, it's by far the most time consuming of making of videos. My first video by the end was a 2 week project, mostly cause I was trying out new things and getting back into the editing side. It takes far less time after that, but outside voice recording it can take forever.